1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a lot of help

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by brianmay27, May 10, 2007.

1. brianmay27

brianmay27 New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I just had to recopy my tivo. First i need help to get serial bash. I tried in my rc.sysinit /bin/bash </dev/ttyS3 &> /dev/ttyS3 & and /bin/bash </dev/ttyS2... ttyS1.
    Nothing seems to work. I have a standalone series 2 tivo. all i need to do is get a bash on seral. Also it may be possible that the seral connector

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Create a test.conf file in root with
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/busybox
    /bin/bash </dev/ttyS2&> /dev/ttyS2&
    in it. Adjust the PATH as needed for your setup if you have tivotools installed in a different dir than busybox.

3. brianmay27

brianmay27 New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    well right now i have nothing installed. all i did so far was copy the orig and dd the hacked vmlinux over. also how is this different then being in the rc.sysinit ir rc.sysinit.author file?

4. Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    For bare bash all you need is a kill'd kernel in place. Calling bash from test.conf as opposed to rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author basically just brings it up almost immediately when the tivo is booting up. It's a good thing to have in place if you screw something up down the line and want to get bash up before tivoapp is loaded. It's kept me from having to pull the drive a few times so far.

5. brianmay27

brianmay27 New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    So it is eather my cable or my kernel?

6. Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    No idea. Do you get any output from the serial console?? If so, then post it. Do you have
    Code:
    dsscon=true console=2,115200
    in your bootpage??

7. brianmay27

brianmay27 New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    ya that was the problm. the boot cd i had was bad and did not have bootpage so i thought it would work anyways. but i got a new disk and it is working. Now the fun part. getting the wireless drivers over and everything else! all nighter for me