1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCIS LA 3/21/2013 "Red"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by eddyj, Mar 21, 2013.

1. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    So I don't follow entertainment news, so I had not heard about a new NCIS spinoff, but 10 minutes into the show, I mentioned to my wife that it felt like a spinoff series setup episode. I guess I was right.

We'll see how part 2 goes, right now, the new team does not seem too compelling.

2. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
  3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I found them to be meh. Zero chemistry between Kim Raver and John Corbett.

4. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    They're supposed to live/work out of shipping containers that get shipped all over the place. They have no home base.

--Carlos V.

5. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    They have a home base. Just they're never there.

And yes, it's a new series. Probably set to replace NCIS - it's getting long in the tooth and despite its ratings, it's rapidly going to run up against monetary issues (the actors will demand more money, and despite its viewership, it isn't advertisers core markets - its ad rates are low for prime-time) and CBS will be forced to wrap it (if the producers don't do it earlier).

Anyhow, from experience, the first couple of seasons of the spinoff will probably be awful. I know I couldn't stand NCIS and NCIS LA for their first season or two, then they really start getting good. The exception might be JAG.

6. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    That's exactly what my wife said! :D

7. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I haven't watched NCIS:LA since the first few episodes. When I saw this thread and the first posting I imagined a series based on the movie "Red"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RED_(film)

Pull in some older TV stars and that could be fun, though it it would be hard to compete with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe I read that it will be NCIS: Red.

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Heh! We have the Idaho National Laboratories here, the DoE's lead nuclear R&D facility... before that...

"What is now Idaho National Laboratory in southeastern Idaho began its life as a U.S. government artillery test range in the 1940s. Shortly after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the U.S. military needed a safe location for performing maintenance on the Navy’s most powerful turreted guns (16-inch diameter). The guns were brought in via rail to near Pocatello, Idaho, to be re-sleeved, rifled and tested.[58]
    In 1949, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission established the National Reactor Testing Station or NRTS at the site.
    As the Navy began to focus on post-World War II threats, the types of projects worked on in the Idaho desert changed, too. Perhaps the most well-known was the building of the prototyp'e reactor for the world’s first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus."

Idaho is a major naval power!!! :D We deserve our own show. :p

10. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I went to A1W prototype for Enterprise/Nimitz reactor in 1976, Class of 7601.

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Here in Idaho? Or had it been exported by then? Sorry, way before my time (I was born in 73). FWIW, I deployed on Nevada in 1994 from Bremerton. I thought it would have been cool to have a base in Lewiston, but strategically that would've been stupid.

My demand stands! I want NCIS: Idaho! Think of all the story opportunities on the Snake River. The mountains. The Desert. Mountain Home air force base flying awry and bombing Vegas! Terrorist attacks on the Hoover Damn! (Most of America has no idea about the geography out here, so anything in the southwest is fair game). Poisoning the Colorado River! Secret alien cave paintings in Moab. Foreign attack squads attacking Vegas! We could be NCIS VEGAS!!! Just based in Boise!!! LOL

12. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Yep. Lived at 690 I Street, Idaho Falls, two streets from the Mormon Temple. Came back in 1980 for my Navy "C" School. You also had S1W and S5G (USS Narwhall) natural circ.

13. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    I don't care where it is, I just want much better acting and writing than NCIS LA! A little less stupid would be good, a whole lot less stupid would be even better!

14. super dave

super dave Upgrade Willy

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I agree with you, they seem to be trying to be too cutesie with smart alec dialog, not smart quips with good writing.

15. rosieambles

rosieambles New Member

Jan 22, 2013
    It would be hard to imagine how the two leads could have LESS chemistry.

I already hate the leaking container premise too. Moving them around is non trivial and of little benefit.

16. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I can't remember, was the container on a truck, so it could relocate easily, or on the ground (as in it was moved and dumped someplace). The first almost makes sense, to make moving it as easy as just driving somewhere else, but I think it was the second. And the whole leaking thing was ridiculous. They have all this equipment and water is dripping all over. That was moronic.

17. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I believe the containers were still on trucks. At least the trucks were sitting there too.

ETA: Here is a video walk through of the two containers (Code Name: Laverne & Shirley)

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/tv/2013/03/18/1997931/#.UUe0lFdB42U.twitter

18. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Heddi said they are based out of Georgia but are hardly ever home.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Assuming Red gets picked up, JAG would still have a long way to go before it could even catch a whiff of the spin-off record, but I wonder if this would be the record for the deepest "spin-off stack"?

Red is a spin-off of NCIS:LA, which is a spin-off of NCIS, which is a spin-off of JAG.

20. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Here is an article discussing this matter (not specifically about NCIS: RED, but does mention JAG - NCIS - NCIS: LA)

http://kevinforsyth.net/weblog/2011/05/if-hezekiah-had-been-a-television-executive/

Looks like this will tie for the longest spin-off chain.