1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC signs Jay for more years of blandness

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeAndrews, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1 of 64
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  2. Jan 9, 2013 #2 of 64
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ugh, I can't even remember the last time I watched Jay Leno. Leno and Letterman should pass the torch onto Jimmy Fallon, Conan, or Kimmel, but that won't happen anytime soon. Well Kimmel is now on earlier.

3. Jan 9, 2013 #3 of 64
    Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    He makes money.

Still, I don't find him to be very entertaining, nor do I care for Letterman anymore. Fallon is awkward.

I followed Conan to TBS.

4. Jan 9, 2013 #4 of 64
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Last full ep of tonight show I watched was the Johnny versions.

5. Jan 9, 2013 #5 of 64
    sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Kimmel is okay, but pretty much more of the same. I really enjoy Ferguson because he's quite different. It's always exciting to see how awkward his interviews are going to be.

6. Jan 9, 2013 #6 of 64
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Ditto. I may have tuned in for Conan's.

7. Jan 9, 2013 #7 of 64
    DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have been turning into more and more of a BBC-America junky lately. I like the format of the Graham Norton show a lot. Having the first two guests come out at once seems to encourage more interactions and interesting conversation between the people on the show. As opposed to just one person coming out at a time and having some awkward canned interview about whatever movie or other thing the guest is plugging.

8. Jan 9, 2013 #8 of 64
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    That was how the Tonight Show used to work. You moved down the couch with Ed on the end.

Doesn't Graham Norton show the previous guests silently reacting backstage on video in another window? THAT is weird.

Look for the Damien Lewis interview, with Psy mugging in the background. WFT?

9. Jan 9, 2013 #9 of 64
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Good luck to Jimmy Fallon. We know what happened to the last fella who thought he could get a promotion...

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you gave me a choice between watching Leno or Failon, I'd go with Leno.

11. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    I must be an old person at heart because I have always liked Leno the best even when I was in my teens. Letterman, Kimmel, Conan, Fallon, and Ferguson I could only take in small doses. I do think Ferguson has the potential to take over for Leno.

Jay and Letterman are polished and good at their craft. Conan, Fallon, Ferguson, and Kimmel excel at taking "Awkwardness" to a new level. Not my thing.

12. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Ferguson would take over for Dave, but he has no interest in that as it stands. Dave's Worldwide Pants owns Craig's show.

The funny thing with your comment is Oprah just chided Dave during her interview on how he's quick to embarrass guests while he admits he himself can't stand embarrassment.

13. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    Jimmy Kimmel pretty much summed it up perfectly on how frustrating it was to see an excellent comic like Jay Leno completely sell out as the host of the Tonight Show.

Kimmel said, “As a comedian, you can’t not have disdain for what he’s done. He totally sold out. He was a master chef who opened a Burger King.”

Exactly.

14. DeDondeEs

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    The thing with Leno is that I can usually finish his jokes before he does, they are so predictably corny.

15. agentpaul

agentpaul Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    Ah I got Ferguson mixed up with Fallon's show on NBC. I think Ferguson really has potential and hopefully with a few more years under his belt he will grow to be comfortable and change his mind.

I got a recording set for the Letterman interview which I'm looking forward to. It's a charge that has been leveled against him constantly.

16. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    A couple of years back we saw Jay Leno at the Mirage in Vegas. This was 2-3 years ago, and he was still doing "Bill Clinton is horny" jokes, and jokes about how his parents can't use the VCR. He hadn't updated his act in decades.

Plus, he asked smak where he was from.

17. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    and what he did for a living

Wasn't that more than 2-3 years ago? Maybe it wasn't. Remind me who convinced me to go.

18. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Just a couple of years ago I would record every Leno show and watch the stand up and loved the Photo Booth, but now I dn't watch at all. Except at a friends, sometime Jimmy Fallon is on the end of the Leno recording so I watch that.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You still bitter over that?

Let it go already.

:)

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I recently followed Quinton Tarantino's appearances on the various late night shows.
    By far, the one I enjoyed most was with Craig Ferguson. I just don't know if I can get into the gay robot sidekick.