1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC Ratings Crash

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Sep 21, 2012.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/21/office-parks-return/

How much longer can they possibly keep this up? These are some REALLY horrible numbers and to think this was once the #1 network and Thursday was by far their strongest night. It's just inconceivable to think they have fallen so far. Are we already at the point to say we only have three major networks?

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    There's a general ratings thread on the forum if you want to post this there.

Honestly, I think these sitcoms were never that strong and people gave up on them. On any other network they would have canceled.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You can't really compare with last season's premiere. It's better to compare with how the shows ended last season, and I think all these numbers are a huge increase.

4. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    America's Got Talent ended=freefall. Put Howard Stern on all your shows.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Uh, wrong. I think the ratings for AGT with Stern this year were down quite a bit from previous years without him.

6. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I posted about it in the other ratings thread, but last year they didn't go up against the NFL for their premiers, and last night they did.

7. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    That's too bad, The Office had one of their best episodes in a long time. Since this is their final season they are trying to up their game.
    And if NBC is pinning hopes on their new comedy shows, Men With Kids and Animal Practice were too bad for me to even give them a second chance. Only Go On has gotten a season pass from me, although I may give one to The New Normal.

8. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Well, they are hardly at the UPN/CW/WB level, but they are still, really poor. I have wondered "How much longer can they possibly keep this up?" myself.

9. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    NBC kills it on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday with football and The Voice. I'd hardly write them off.

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I don't think people are keeping in mind that the Thursday night shows are now up against NFL football every single week, whereas before they would only do so during December if at all.

11. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    And yet the NBC shows put up almost the same numbers in the spring without football.

Can someone get this merged with the other ratings thread so we don't have to have the same conversation in two places?

12. bc0312

bc0312 Member

Dec 25, 2002
    It probably got a dismal rating in the NY metro area because the Giants and Yankees were both playing during that time.

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    But on the NFL Network. How many households get that? I don't.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Again, who cares? Why didn't the other shows suffer as much? Shows have to produce in their time slot regardless of what the competition is and NBC's didn't get it done. Excuses, excuses. These are poorly rated shows and have been for some time. NBC has essentially given up on Thursday nights and has focused on building a stronger lineup on other nights for the time being. They will let these low rated, yet consistent, shows muddle along against stiff competition while strengthening the rest of their lineup and deal with this problem at a future date.

15. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I mentioned it in the other thread, but last week's Bears/Packers game drew 8.6 million viewers.

I'm not sure how many households it's in, but it's about to get a lot bigger:

Time Warner Will Carry NFL Network

16. Kenny4200

Kenny4200 New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    sadly this is the last season for the office :(

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well we are getting a Dwight spin off. It can either be the next Frasier or the next Joey......

18. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    Why do you make an assertion and then say you "THINK"? Either you know or you don't.

Here are the facts. Viewership is down across the board. However, the percentage by which AGT beats its competition was increased compared to the last couple of seasons. When original episodes aired, AGT pretty much destroyed every other show week in and week out aside from some sporting events.

19. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What's more sad is the show has been almost unwatchable for three years.

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I don't watch any of the shows mentioned except Rock Center (Love Brian Williams!). It seems like Rock Center wasn't on for a while there so I can't help but wonder if it got lost in the shuffle with non-Tivo types. (If I didn't have an SP it would have dropped off the radar for me)

I didn't even know about the SNL special until yesterday and caught it on MSNBC last night when it re-aired there. I wonder if others even knew about the show - or maybe I'm just living in a cave these days (it's possible).