1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC officially cancels Smash

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wprager, May 10, 2013.

1. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh, well, it was inconsistent while it lasted.

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Howdy!

May 1, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Ah, that's going to make my wife unhappy.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Katherine McPhee needs a new project! Gotta keep her on TV

4. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    McPhee can't seem to find anything that sticks.

5. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Something less sucky. Smash was a soap opera with singing. Didn't like how she was written.

6. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Season two retool = kiss of death.

7. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    This may sound harsh, but belief cannot be suspended high enough to accept Anjelica Houston as an attractive woman. Just can't happen. If they do a TV version of La Cage, then she has a shot at a role. Her acting was terrible too, amongst a cast of many terrible actors. We enjoyed the show somewhat, but the disjointed story, predictable arcs and Anjelica Houston as a femme fatale put this writing on the wall.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    A, the phrase is "suspension of disbelief." B, the word "suspend" in that phrase refers to "temporarily preventing from continuing to happen," and has nothing to do with a matter of altitude. ;) In any case, not only was Anjelica not a femme fatale in this show by any stretch of the imagination, her appearance was not remotely an issue with this show. She played her role of a producer well enough IMO.

No, the issues with this show started right off the bat in season 1, and the show dug a hole so deep that no matter what they had done during season 2, there's not a chance it could ever have climbed out. I mean, other than the first and last episodes of season 1, there wasn't really much redeeming in that entire season. The choice to adopt a very silly, exaggerated, completely implausible version of the world of Broadway, complete with a pair of comic book villains in Ellis and Jerry, didn't help things any.

It wasn't until midway through this season, when new showrunner Josh Saffran's decision to blatantly plagarize the back story behind the creation of RENT got the show to calm down somewhat and show some of the promise the show could have had but never fulfilled.

9. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    How do you "plagarize" (sic) a real-life story?

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This show was a dead man walking before the second season even started.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, I mis-typed and missed the I. In any case "plagiarize" was the closest word I could come up with, but I think it's appropriate, in that Safran went beyond being "inspired" by the story of RENT. Both shows were rock/pop inspired, mainly sung-through musicals developed by a pair of relatively unknown playwrights at the New York Theatre Workshop, with one of the creators die on the eve of the show moving to Broadway, and whose casts perform a concert performance of the music in honor of that creator. It was a little too close to the source material for my taste.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I'll throw a word out there. Coopt.

13. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Yeah, I'm well aware it is not a matter of altitude, I thought I was being clever.

I knew some would have an issue with my use of femme fatale, but before I posted I reviewed a definition of the words and thought it could be used here. "a mysterious and seductive woman whose charms ensnare her lovers in bonds of irresistible desire, often leading them into compromising, dangerous, and deadly situations"

The very wealthy Jerry seems to continue to love her, no telling why, even when he's out with much younger and far more attractive women. The very much younger and more handsome bartender loved her and it put him in jail. The critic wanted to get busy with her at the detriment of his own reputation. I figured it was close enough and my thoughts weren't going to be dissected. All of these men were lead into compromising positions due to their love for Anjelica's character.

I say tie goes to the runner.

14. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Active Member

Apr 30, 2003
    I only forced my family to watch the first couple of episodes this season, but I agree with the above - Season 2 was a goner before it ever aired. :(

15. stargazer21

stargazer21 Active Member

May 22, 2002
    Hockey...
    Yeah, it was a mess. I'll still miss it, though. :(

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    This. 100%

A hot mess.

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Except for her tops, unfortunately. :(

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think you're confusing love and sex.

Someone doesn't need to be attractive to have people be in love with them.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's a shame that such a talented cast got such crap material to work with.

20. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]