1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC in Boston

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JonC24, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1 of 227
    JonC24

JonC24 Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Boston
    Have any Comcast/Roamio users gotten the channel updates yet for the changes that are happening in Boston on January 1st? For those who don't know, WHDH (Channel 7) is losing NBC programming, which is moving to a new station. On Comcast it will be on channel 10 (SD) or 810 (HD). NECN, currently on channel 10/810, is moving to channel 840.

The new NBC station is owned by NBC, but currently they only have a lower power station in the area. It is supposed to be broadcasting now, but haven't been able to pick it up over the air, and I'm only about 20 miles from Boston (although I'm not sure where the antenna is).

2. Dec 20, 2016 #2 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    NECN has already moved to 840 as of 12/1

WBTS (sp?) has already moved to 810 as of 12/1

Problem I see already is that for me on my TiVoHD, the descriptions for 810 programming are all in Spanish at the moment. I think this may be because of how WNEU owns telemundo or something like that (WBTS-LD - Wikipedia). I hope they get this worked out.

I am also a little worried about the actual switchover day and SPs. I may be out of town for New Year's so my fixes may have to wait until I get back. I could change my only 2 NBC SPs (Blacklist and This is Us) to ARWLs but for 2 shows I Can get via the NBC app on AppleTV, it's prob not worth the effort or worry.

I did send a line-up "issue" to TiVo about the Spanish descriptions. Either they will alreayd have known about it and are planning on it as part of the switchover, or they have no clue. But, again, for me for two shows airing "now", it is not a big deal.

3. Dec 21, 2016 #3 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    so now that we have guide data out to like the 3rd, it will be interesting to see what happens.....I'll have to look and see if it shows any of the NBC programming on the new 810.

4. Dec 21, 2016 #4 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    I am a little concerned now that TiVo/Rovi may not have this transition down right. So the Guide Data for Comcast 810 is WBTS-LD2. Right now, based on the WBTS listings (Boston Listings), LD-2, or subchannel 8.2, is Telemundo. That would explain the Spanish listings in my guide data as it looks like 810 is attached to WBTS-LD2. And given that current factoid, it "makes sense" that, for instance, on Sunday night of NYD, at 8pm you don't see football, you see "RĂ¡pido y furioso: Reto en Tokyo".

What I do not know yet is if WBTS will be using the LD-2 subchannel to feed 810. If so, let's hope the Rovi data is updated. If that is incorrect and 810 is going to be fed by LD-1, then TiVo/Rovi is using the wrong channel for listings.

Can someone who is NOT on comcast in the boston area, say someone on Verizon FIOS, comment on what YOU currently see.

I only record Blacklist and This is Us from NBC (well, the Voice too but that just ended) and I can temp use the NBC app on Apple TV, but I feel like this is going to be a minor cluster......

And noone for TiVo or NBC Boston has confirmed yet exactly what is supposed to happen, etc.....

5. Dec 21, 2016 #5 of 227
    equinoxe

equinoxe Too many TiVo's to remember

Aug 25, 2007
    Massachuetts...
    On Verizon (Boston area) FIOS, WBTS (NBC Countdown channel) is on 516, in English, and with correct programming info if you go by Zap2It. Of course, the Rovi data on my Tivos show some NBC programming still on 7 & 507 after 1/1 and 516 shows no programming guide data at all as if nothing is happening.

There was so much fun to be had chasing Rovi guide data on Windows Media Center after the switch over last summer, I wouldn't expect anything less from Rovi on these changes. Typically, MCE now takes 1-2 months to show channel updates - epg123 was a life saver.

I suspect that NBC network programming will be on 516 w/o guide data unless Rovi gets it done before next week. Blacklist is returning on 1/5 - Manual recording of NBC shows will be in effect until things normalize.

6. Dec 21, 2016 #6 of 227
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I just tweeted out to support, not really expecting them to be able to do anything. I also submitted a lineup report a week or so ago. We have another thread on this over here: TiVO and upcoming channel changes in Boston area

Crazy they can't get this fixed in a month.

-Kevin

7. Dec 21, 2016 #7 of 227
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Support suggested I redo guided setup. No change. Hopefully they pass this along and up the chain. This is a big area and major network to be having issues come Jan 1.

-Kevin

8. Dec 21, 2016 #8 of 227
    dianebrat

dianebrat drastically off narrative TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I wouldn't be worrying about it until we got a lot closer, I know I'm not.

9. Dec 22, 2016 #9 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    Blacklist is my biggest concern too. I have toyed with an ARWL and also setting up a manual record on the new channel # (currently with the spanish info). Not sure EXACTLY what I will do, but at least I know I can watch NBC programming rather easily via the NBC AppleTV app.

Agreed, and I think I have also commented in there too.

Not sure what redoing guided setup would do at this point unless they have made a guide change, but wouldn't we get the on-TiVo notification of that? The channel number is correct (at least for comcast...810). But it's the guide data and call letters that have me verklempt. It could right itself fine at least for what is actually broadcast on 810. But the Guide will need to get fixed.

I am trying not to worry. But you are right, it all COULD get righted before. But, honestly, since the guide data goes out to about 1/3 now, it ALREADY is a problem. If I want to set a recording for Sunday Night Football on NYD, it would HAVE to be manual right now as the info for 810 is wrong and doesn't even have football in there. There are subchannels related to WBTS and they current station listing (and guide data) for 810 on comcast is the wrong subchannel. It is shown as WBTS-LD2 which is subchannel 2, which currently is the Telemundo affiliate, hence the wrong guide data with Spanish listings.

10. Dec 22, 2016 #10 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    I meant to also note that I have been messaging with someone at NBC Boston. I have made them aware of the problem and they said they are trying to work with TiVo. They do care about it as if the data is not fixed, there is a chunk of their audience on the Boston area that will not be able to easily get/watch their programming.....

11. Dec 23, 2016 #11 of 227
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You should contact Ed Markeys office. He has been all over this NBC thing because their signal doesn't reach the same area as WHDH. I'm sure this will get more attention at NBC if they hear it from him.

12. Dec 23, 2016 #12 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Dec 23, 2016 #13 of 227
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    How is this a political issue? NBC can take their signal and do whatever they want with it, they've chosen to move to a new affiliate with different broadcast coverage, there's no reason they can't. There are no broadcast rules on how a network has to cover a region.

The majority of broadcast rules cover the local stations and their requirements to serve their community, NOT the network.

14. Dec 23, 2016 #14 of 227
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The issue I believe has to do with promises that Comcast made when they bought NBC that there would be no reduction in service. The concern here is that poor and elderly people who may rely on OTA coverage will not be able to get the signal. There was an announcement that they were going to broadcast on some other channel that would reach all of Boston. I heard on the radio the other day that this other channel is a x.2 so it's not HD although the journalist talking about this wasn't 100% sure.

I use OTA and the only channel that consistently comes in perfectly is WHDH.

15. Dec 23, 2016 #15 of 227
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    and Comcast hasn't done any of that, NBC has moved to a different affiliate, the amount of programming services have not changed, and since the number of users getting OTA vs Cable now skews heavily towards cable their "reach" doesn't change, sure you're affected, and it probably isn't a good thing for you, but it's not something I want a politician involved in.

I'm sorry but in no possible way do I see any scenario where a politics should get involved in a simple business transaction like this, no one is "entitled" to NBC on a high power digital channel, it's not a right or a law.

16. Dec 24, 2016 #16 of 227
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I hear what you are saying but Comcast is taking away coverage for a lot of people. The new station won't cover Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury and many other areas. The signal pretty much ends around Beacon Hill and nothing south of there gets coverage.

Taking away this content is a way to get people to sign up for Comcast and lock them into contracts before Verizon FIOS begins their service in the city.

17. Dec 24, 2016 #17 of 227
    soremekun

soremekun New Member

Dec 15, 2016
  18. Dec 25, 2016 #18 of 227
    MichaelCoffin

MichaelCoffin New Member

Nov 28, 2014
    FWIW I just checked the Guide data for channel 810 on Comcast through 1/4/2017, it's still in Spanish and doesn't show any NBC programming. Meanwhile, Channel 807 (which will lose the NBC programming at the end of 12/31/2016) still shows NBC programming through 1/4. I hope they get this fixed soon, this change takes place in SIX DAYS! :(

19. Dec 25, 2016 #19 of 227
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    Oh how I hope TiVo/Rovi just gets the guide data switched properly. LD-2/Telemundo/Spanish listings is not right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Dec 25, 2016 #20 of 227
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, unless you are a Spanish speaker. ;)