1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC Cancels Go On - Rock Center - Up all Night - Guys With Kids and 1600 Penn

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bettamojo5, May 11, 2013.

1. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    NBC also announced Friday that it has axed its news magazine “Rock Center with Brian Williams,” as well as “Go On,” a rookie comedy starring Matthew Perry that had a promising start before its ratings collapsed.

On Thursday, the network said it is canceling fellow rookie comedies “Up All Night,” “Guys with Kids” and “1600 Penn.”

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2013/05/10/nbc-bringing-back-70s-cop-drama-ironside/

Sorry to see Go On didn't make it. I liked it. No regrets on any of the others. Really glad to see that Whitney got the axe.

2. farleyruskz

farleyruskz Nunya

Nov 13, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I enjoyed Rock Center but it clearly wasn't doing well, given how often it moved around on the schedule.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    and Smash. And The New Normal

I am gonna have to [eventually] delete a lot of stuff from my Season Pass manager.

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I tried 1600 Penn and deleted all of it when learning it was canceled. A warm humorous family rather than silly slapstick could have carried this show.

5. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I'm surprised they kept Community. I'm not complaining, as I tend to really enjoy it, but I am surprised considering everything else they have canceled.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I am REALLY sad about The New Normal. Such a great show. I hope someone else picks it up. The show should have never been on NBC in the first place. It would have fit in better on ABC or FOX.

7. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I liked Go On, but the premise wasn't strong enough to keep it going.

8. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I liked Go On a lot but it went missing on the schedule for long periods and I gave up on trying to find it to watch it.

9. sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    No TiVo? :p

I'll miss Go On, Happy Endings, The New Normal...and even Whitney.

10. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Except for a one-month break in Dec. (which is pretty common due to the holidays), it was as consistent as most shows.

http://epguides.com/goon/

11. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    RI
    I liked both New Normal and 1600Penn, too bad. NBC will be really light on the sitcoms now.

12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    They will pick up a bunch of new pilots. How many of these cancelled shows were new? Isn't it like all of them?

13. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'll miss Go On, we enjoyed that one a lot, even though he was essentially playing Chandler Bing.

14. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm like this close to being completely over trying to watch network sitcoms anymore.

'The New Normal' was a good show. It even had a kid that I liked in it, and I don't particularly like kids and will go out of my way to avoid them.

I also really liked 'Go On' but I can see how it would have its limitations.

I watched 'Whitney' and '1600 Penn'. I didn't love either of them but thought Whitney would make it. At least she has '2 Broke Girls'.

I really liked 'Rock Center' and will miss that one a lot. It was the only 'magazine' show that I managed to watch. I haven't watched 48 Hours (is that still on?), 20/20, or 60 Minutes in years. Love the Brian. :(

15. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    By my count, Revolution is the only new show on NBC the season that will be back for a second season (Hannibal is up in the air right now, and it sounds like a decision on it is still a week or two away, even though their fall schedule will be announced next week).

I find it funny that for the last two years, NBC has talked about airing comedies with a more broad-based appeal than the critically-acclaimed but ratings-poor Parks & Rec and Community, and now, their only returning comedies next season are P&R and Community.

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Perhaps having been focused on the niche comedies for so long, they no longer have the ability to see what the broader based public actually finds funny. Broad based comedy doesn't have to mean stupid. Animal Practice anyone?

"Hey people like monkeys right? How about a show with a monkey working at a Veterinarians office? Comedy GOLD!"

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Bummer, Rock Center is a pretty good newsmagazine. I like Brian Williams, that's the major reason I like it, I guess..

18. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Did NBC blame Aereo?

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How many more seasons has NBC got left? Who is going to want to watch any of their new shows next season? They will probably just cancel them anymore. At least they kept the two funniest shows on TV right now, Parks and Rec and Community. The New Normal should have been put on Thursday nights.

20. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Up All Night was not a "rookie" comedy. The first season was decent. The second, a disaster.