1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Name this DVR" not working?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mister B, May 17, 2014.

1. Mister B

Mister B New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    I was able to name my "new" Series 3 OLED on the Tivo website but in two weeks it has not shown up on my account information screen on the TV. I know there was a problem with this a few years ago and tried to search the relevant thread but the terms are too common to find meaningful results. It is not critical but was kind of cool.

2. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I transferred a secondhand TiVo to my account and renamed it via the Tivo website. The new name appears in its System Information screen but my other Tivo still sees it by its old name. It's been about two days since I did the renaming.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Force a couple calls on both TiVos. They'll sync up with the new name.

4. Mister B

Mister B New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    I only have one Tivo. Is this function only for multiple Tivos?

5. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
    Have you rebooted the TiVo? If not, try rebooting.

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    When I got my Roamio and moved my Premiere to the other side of the house, I wanted to change the name of the Premiere. It definitely took multiple "phone home" and reboot sequences before the new name finally appeared everywhere.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's mainly for multi-room viewing.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you only have the one TiVo then naming it won't really do anything for you.

But it shouldn't hurt anything, either.

Where it can come in handy is if say you have 2 TiVos and show copying software (like TiVo Desktop) installed on a PC, when you go to select shows to copy you'll have the machines presenting themselves as, for instance, LivingRoomTiVo and BedroomTiVo, or whatever names you choose, and can tell them apart more easily than if it were, say, 652_TiVo and 652_TiVo or even 652_TiVo_1 and 652_TiVo_2.

(I can't remember exactly what naming convention TiVo uses in the absence of owner-assigned names, but it's something generic like that)

9. Mister B

Mister B New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    I tried a re-boot and forced call. The name still does not show on screen. I just remember that it used to when I had my original Series 3 about 8 years ago. I had better just leave it alone as everything else is working great. Thanks anyway.

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have been having a difficult time getting all three TiVos on my network to show the correct names for each other. All have connected to the TiVo server many times since I moved one two of them and renamed them a month or two ago and I am now within one correction of being right so I am making progress. My next step is going to be unplug and reconnect the Premiere that thinks my Theater TiVoHD is still my Den TiVoHD and see if that fixes it. What it shows now on the Premiere My Shows List is Den TiVoHD but if I click on it, it indicates the correct name Theater TiVoHD.

11. achalupa

achalupa Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I've had this happen before too. What has worked for me is to power off everything on the network (routers, switches, bridges, pc's, TiVos, access points, etc). Bring the network and devices back online and force a device connection from each.

I'm not sure if each TiVo gets other TiVo names from the network broadcast or from the service connection...or maybe both. Sometimes it has a problem letting go of older information.