1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naked and Afraid - Season 3

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by john4200, Jul 15, 2014.

1. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    This thread is for discussing any season 3 episodes that have been broadcast.

At this time, three episodes have aired:

S03E01 "Primal Fear" June 29, 2014
    Lindsey Leitelt and Luke McLaughlin challenged in a dense harsh land in Namibia

S03E02 "Blood in the Water" July 6, 2014
    Dani Julien and Justin Bullard stranded with starvation and tiny predators in the Bahamas' Andros islands.

S03E03 "Hearts of Darkness" July 13, 2014
    Carrie and Tom survived with crocodiles and extreme heat in Cambodia.

2. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    #3. I think it took a lot of restraint for the guy not to use the machete for purposes other than chopping bamboo. The female was so irritating to me by the end that I was fastforwarding through her diary cam talks. She was hot looking but that was all she had going for her.

3. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Its hard to view 21 days of activity in 1 hour, but I thought the guy was satisfied with just starving and sitting around 21 days and not actively looking for food. When I've watched surviorman or Bear Grylls, they always walk around their location looking for items which can make their survival easier.

Why don't we see they digging for worms and bugs?

4. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Thats my gripe about this series, its all about loading up on food and water before you get there. Then starving for 21 days and how it affects your mind/body. It is a challenge, no question about it. I'd go for making it R rated and removing the blur. But thats me.

5. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Episode 3: Both "survivors" really failed to do a creditable job. The guy needed to man up and provide some body heat. The woman was unbearable. Never pitched in. Her best contribution was the clams. Why the guy didn't set right out the next day or so for more clams was puzzling. I agree that he just seemed to decide to wimp out & wait out the 21 rather than hunt for anything, snakes included. Watching them interact was so unpleasant I cannot imaging how much worse it would have been to have been there. Any guy considering a relationship beyond 24 hours with that woman needs to watch the episode. Danger!

6. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    She has a nice hiney, though.

7. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    +1 :up:

8. AntiPC

AntiPC Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    She was a piece of work, but he brought some of it on himself. It struck me that this location wasn't particularly challenging compared to the snake filled swamp, mosquito infested jungle, damp rain forests with daily downpours, etc.

They used the machete and firestarter to make fire. They boiled drinking water in bamboo, which was smart. Beyond that, their efforts at shelter and hunting were lame at best. It seemed like the biggest challenge was the nights in the 50s, and Mr. Monogamous wasn't a team player there.

9. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    The thing that annoys me is how the editors insert footage of animals that were apparently nowhere near the competitors.

Whenever Carrie or Tom went to clam beach, the editors inserted footage of crocodiles in the water. But neither Carrie or Tom spotted a crocodile around there, and they did not even seem very worried about crocodiles.

If there were crocodiles nearby, the only reasonable thing I can think of that they could have done would be to both go to clam beach, and have one of them watching very carefully for approaching crocodile eyes while the other one was fishing for clams. But even that would be dangerous, and I wonder if the producers would have stopped them from even going into the water there if crocodiles were nearby. The speed that a crocodile can attack someone on the shore is shocking.

10. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Finally, a guy who actually had survivor skills n the Nicaraguan rainforest episode 20 July. Liked the way the 2 very different people interacted and leveraged off each other. Both were intelligent, ego free, had a sense of humor and tolerated very opposite world views. A welcome respite from last weeks witch from hell and passive do nothing guy team.

11. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I wasn't particularly impressed with the dudes skills in context of the show. Why can't they get people who can trap? Spearing, making hand weapons will never feed you in the place they go, a person who has 'hunting' skills is useless in that arena.

12. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Anyone else notice the big bunch of bananas behind the pair next to the cave? They may not have been ripe or otherwise useful, but it illustrates one of my main gripes about this show. They spend so much time with breathless narration and replaying stuff over and over and leave out tons of details I really want to know about.

13. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    This is the best pairing the show has ever had. I really liked both of them and thought they did well. I would not have been surprised if the relationship grew after they returned but I guess it really was just a good friendship.

The show was a good example of not judging a book by its cover. My first impressions of the guy were not optimistic - southern redneck who loves to kill things. He turned out to be a lot more complex, in a good way. I could see myself hanging out with him.

14. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I think she was a lot more into him than he was her. At least it seemed that way with the way they edited it. Only the two of them know what really went on out there when the film crew left for the day.

15. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah...hunting skills don't really translate very good to this show. Take away the gun and you really don't have anything usefull in this situation.

16. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Speaking of that, I wonder if contestants are allowed to bring some type of firearm or bow and arrow. Not that there is typically large game from what I've seen. Just curious if it's forbidden.

17. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    They'd probably worry that the guy that hated his partner a couple episodes ago would find an easy solution for both his hunger and annoying partner.

18. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Considering that they sleep right next to each other, you'd hardly need such a high-powered weapon. Any blade could do the job.

I did not understand why Adam and Jaclyn could not find some leaves with water in them on their second day, considering that it rained all night and there were plenty of big-leaf plants around.

I thought that Jaclyn got a much higher PSR than she deserved as compared to Adam who was a great survivor. Anyone going into one of these things who is not willing to kill and eat whatever is available is just foolish. Even though near the end she finally ate a bite of lizard, that was too little too late.

Other than not finding water in leaves (or planning ahead to have dry firewood after the rain) on the 2nd day, Adam was impressive. He was cheerful and encouraging to Jaclyn the entire way to the waterfall, despite not having had water for 2 days. He even maintained his cheerful disposition as Jaclyn repeatedly refused to eat the meat that he caught.

19. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    If I had to pick a guy from this show to live on an island with, so far, it would be Adam (more because of his disposition) or possibly the kinda mean guy that has showed up twice (I think he was in Season 1 and then again in Season 2 to replace the couple that tapped out due to mosquito bites when they set camp in the worst possible spot). Nobody else has impressed me much.

Mind you, I'd be the scared girl crying in whatever makeshift shelter the guy built for me. The mean guy would probably scare me out of the shelter and Adam would probably encourage and coax me out.