1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysterious backdoor code

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ChuckyBox, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I was trying to set 30-second skip one day, but I must have pushed a wrong button in the sequence (I was doing it one-handed). I ended up with a very interesting and potentially useful display across the bottom of the screen. It showed something like this:

Tuner 1: 44 Tuner 2: 502 (LIVE) [some other info that I forget]

Where the numbers showed what channel each tuner was tuned to. I'm not sure about the "LIVE" but it was something that indicated the tuner that was currently "in front" (i.e., being shown on live TV). The display also showed info about what was being played back, but I forget the format.

Anyway, this could be useful for diagnosing some problems or just for information. It went away when the box rebooted.

I'm not eager to start punching a lot of random codes into my remote to try to discover the code, but those of you who find this kind of thing interesting, and are more adventurous than I, might want to try to find it. As I said, the basic sequence was pretty close to the sps30s code.

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    I wonder if they have the SPS code for showing resolution and bit rates? That was great, briefly, on DirecTV, when we all learned that they were downrezzing the HD by 33%. Not that it was great they were downrezzing...

3. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I believe the display also showed the resolution -- though you can get that on the info screen, too.

4. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    You can get the "advertised" resolution, but not the actual resolution. For example, 1080i is 1920x1080, but DirecTV "1080i" is 1280x1080, a 33% reduction.

It's very useful to see the actual resolution.

I can't find whatever code you used - any ideas?

5. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    What was the old HR10-250 code?

(And thanks Chucky, I spend about 90 minutes trying to figure out this code, with no luck :))

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  7. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I would LOVE it if SPS7S let you adjust the overscan. Particularly if it saved the settings by resolution, so I could overscan further on 720x480i SD. That would be awesome.

Any other S3 backdoor codes? I'd like to see suggestions in the todo list also.

8. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Yeah, just found that, too. A word of caution though -- like it's S2 counterpart (which I just read about), the display does not go away when you toggle it off. You need to go to a menu (e.g., push the TiVo button) and then it will be gone from live TV or playback.

9. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yup, S-P-S-InstantReplay-S was the one I was thinking about.

But that doesn't look like the one Chucky saw.

10. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    It does when you go to live TV. He's in playback there. It says "FOCUS" not "LIVE," and it tells you which is recording, etc., when watching live TV.

11. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Cool. Looks like FOCUS indicates which input is actually displayed.

Good stuff. Too bad it doesn't show the associated cable card.

So, how in the world did you hit replay instead of 3 0 ? :)

12. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    All I can figure is that I started with SPS, then either dropped the remote or was slow to get to the 30, so I hit replay (so as not to miss the beginning of the show while I pushed buttons), and then started again with SPS30S.

So I thought I was doing:
    SPS -- command aborted
    Replay -- to back up
    SPS30S -- to set the skip

But I did:
    SPS-Replay-S -- setting the status toggle
    PS30S -- which did nothing

So 30-sec skip didn't work, and I thought I must have made a mistake in the last 6 button pushes, but the mistake came earlier.

At least that's my working theory.

I will be interesting to see if input 0 and input 1 are always linked to the same cablecards for everyone. We should be able to figure that out, and I think it will be useful in diagnosing certain problems.

13. skiguy32

skiguy32 New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Ok I found this thread while looking for the 30sec skip code and then I noticed the other 2 codes but not sure what their purpose really is. They kinda look like something that tech guy would use to trouble shoot issues.

The codes:

SPS30S = Skip commercials ,which is a great code!

SPSInstantReplayS = puts some weird text at the bottom of the screen that says "Mode: Live ll Input 0: Live 68 ll Input 1: Live 67 Focus ll Output's Source: 720x480i@29.970fps/4:3 (and it changes to something else when i change the channel)

SPS7S = puts some weird graph on the screen and is really annoying. Luckly you just enter the code again to take it away.

The 30 sec skip code is the only good code I think I like. Are there anymore I can try that does something cool (and useful to normal people)?

14. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    SPS7S is used to adjust your TV's picture, so it fits uniformly on the screen. You put the "arrows" evenly into the corners.

15. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Don't forget SPS9S to display the clock, and

SPS (Pause)S to speed up the progress bar at the bottom and,

NPL-0-ThumbDown to see list of networked TiVos

16. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread...there were a couple of cool codes I hadn't tried before.

17. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    Why aren't all of these various codes compiled and stickied?

I wish I knew about that code before I got stuck paying an extra $3.99/month for my clock. :) j/k

18. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    There's also a code to remove the "Advert" permantely (until reboot) that appears at the bottom above the "progress bar" everytime it comes up.

I can't remember that one. Does anyone know it? I had used it before. But now since the "reboot" it has come back.

TGC

19. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-PAUSE-SELECT

20. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    I thought that one was to speed up the disappearance of the progress bar (S-Pl-S-Pa-S)?