1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My THR22 is dying - advice needed

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by elmofongo, Oct 5, 2013.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I have two THR22. One of them has a 2TB internal drive that I had installed (swapped the original) almost 2 years ago.

It just started freezing and crashing. It's usually fine for about 30 minutes after a power cycle.

I'm thinking of replacing the 2TB drive and hope it's not the motherboard that's dying.

Here's my question:

Is it true that I can use Gparted to copy the content of my old 2TB drive to the new one?

I saw the instructions on another forum but it might be for HRxx DVR's only.

Thanks

-Adrian

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You should be able to just use dd to do a copy. The THR22 disk structure is this weird combination of traditional TiVo and HRxx. I never got gparted to even recognize my THR22 disk, which is weird.

3. elmofongo

elmofongo New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Hi Steve,

Can you point me to some instructions for the copy procedure?
    I did go through this before but it was for a SD DirecTivo. Not sure it applies to the THR22.

Thanks

-Adrian

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Just the use of dd would be the same as for an older TiVo. Just don't expect to use any of the MFS tools.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Probably better to wrap paper toweling around the drive going bad, stick it in the freezer overnight, and use

dd_rescue

instead of

dd

and if necessary adjust the options for a maximum of 512 bytes and a minimum of one, and maybe even use the -r option if copying to another disk of exactly the same capacity, and have a fan blowing on the problem disk.