1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Shows folder organization?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rick123, Jun 17, 2014.

1. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Wondering if there is an app or a "hack" program (like pytivo) that would allow me to put individual programs in the my shows list into folders that I create and name?

When I move a season of tv programs to a tivo with pytivo they end up listed individually and take up a lot of space in the overall list. Would like to be able to make a folder and move them all into it the same way tivo makes a folder for multiple shows in a series.

Thanks if you know!

Rick

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I take it you have no metadata files for these recordings because if you had normal metadata files, episodes of a series would go into a group. What model TiVo and how are you moving the recordings?

See here for an explanation of what metadata is. There are several programs around that will generate the metadata.

BTW, pyTivo is not a hack.

3. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I have TiVo Premiere...

These are typical tv series files you would find on the internet. Never thought of looking for metadata files like I would for an ebook. I'll do some looking around for a program to do that for video files.

Thank you

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The two most popular are MetaGenerator 3 and pyTivoMetaThis.

The reason I asked about how you were transferring the recordings is that very little of the metadata is transferred if done via a "Push".

5. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I am moving the files with pytivo, is that the "push" you are referring to?

Also, the pytivometathis program, is that something that works within pytivo? if so that would seem to be my choice since I already have gone thru the (no so simple) process of getting pytivo up and running.

Thanks

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes,

No, it's a separate (python) program. Neither it nor Metagenerator 3 is difficult to install.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A "push" is when a transfer is started from the computer side to the Tivo. A "pull" is the same thing but started from the Tivo side.