1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My S3 Is Changing the Video Output Format

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by smarsh, Jan 17, 2007.

1. smarsh

smarsh New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Has anyone else had Tivo change their video output format?

I have a new Series 3, a Panasonic 50 inch plasma, and a Yamaha RX-v2700 receiver. The plasma can handle all video formats, so I set the Tivo video output format to Native. Great picture. Once I turn the TV and receiver off, the next time I turn it all on again, the Tivo has switched video output format to 720P Fixed.

When certain shows are displaying with 720P, I see those aggravating white lines at the top of the screen (based on other posts, thats from the closed captioning signal). They don't show when I switch back to Native. But, of course, next time I turn TV back on, Tivo has switched me to 720P again.

I'm connected from Tivo to Receiver to Plasma, all with HDMI cables.

Help! :confused:

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Haven't experienced that issue but doesn't sound good at all - I don't have a TV capable of supporting all input types so I'm forced to use 1080i fixed right now, but plan to upgrade to a newer TV supporting all input types sometime soon. Just out of curiosity have you tried connecting via component (and disconnecting HDMI) to see if the same thing happens? HDMI tends to cause a lot more handshaking problems compared to component. If it doesn't happen with component connection then at least that isolates the problem to being HDMI related.

3. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    Are you getting a better pic with the S3 on fixed resolution, or with native?

Even if your plasma can handle all signals, what isthe native resolution of your TV?

I'm just wondering. Even if your TV can support all resolutions, it still takes the incoming signal and rescales it to it's native.

So, it depends on which device has better hardware/software to accomplish the rescaling.

I set my S3 to 720 fixed. Seems to work bettter than native. When I leave it on native, the screen goes all wacky as it changes resolutions. I think it's the TiVo, because it doesn't happen when I use the QAM tuner on the TV. S3 is connected w/HDMI.

Of course, I have that cheap Westinghouse 32" LCD I got on Black Friday from Best Buy...

I did try it on my S3. Seems to keep the settings when turning the TV off and on - changed it to Native first.

4. smarsh

smarsh New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I have not tired it with component cables. I definitely get a better picture through native as opposed to 720P, especially since those nagging static lines show up on 720P.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's the TV (not Tivo) that goes wacky when adjusting to a different input resolution. When using Native mode the resolution can switch a lot - when bringing up Tivo menus it goes 720p, SD channel tuning->480i, HD channel tuning can be either 720p or 1080i etc. That's why Native can be quite annoying to use especially for a TV that doesn't react very nicely to resolution changes.

6. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    Does this happen if you connect the Tivo directly to the TV (w/ HDMI), instead of through the receiver? It could be the Tivo is getting confused about the prefered output format of your HDMI device.

7. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Yeah, perhaps the Yammie (nice one, by the way, I'm considering it's baby brother, the 6090, to replace my HDMI-incapable 5790) is sending mixed messages, or falling back to a 'safe' HD mode during negotiation.

My 5x1 monoPrice.com HDMI switch keeps the HDMI negotiated and ready to switch for most input sources (for some reason, the Moto 6412 renegotiates every time I switch to it's input) - so perhaps the Yamaha is doing the same thing, but with a fallback to 720?

And I'll second what others have suggested - test this with the S3 directly connected to the TV. Try all power on/off and cable disconnection scenarios.

It's just an unfortunate truth that not all CE manufacturers write a completely compliant HDMI implementation, negotiation/keepalive strategy etc.
    Side note - my S3 and the Sony PS3 are the only ones that behave as expected when connected to my (noname) Sceptre LCD HDTV, through my 5x1 HDMI switch. The Moto 6412 and the Dish 811 I had before - not so much! Occasional reboots are needed to fix odd modes/lack of synch situations.

8. cbstv

cbstv New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    I have my tivo s3 centrally located, with the hdmi output feeding a gefen distribution amp (splitter), feeding the tv locations. Sometimes, when I watch this unit on any of the tvs, the video output resolution is not what I set it at a day or 2 earlier (I keep it at native). I was thinking there was something in an ir code, that duplicated the 'format' button on the face of the s3. any other ideas?????

9. Feb 5, 2007 #9 of 29
    cbstv

cbstv New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    HDMI issue?

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Sounds like the receive is doing some thing to the hdmi handshake between the S3 and the TV.

11. cbstv

cbstv New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    here is the hdmi set-up: TIVO HDMI OUT > GEFEN HDMI DIST. AMP > GEFEN HDMI SWITCHER > TV

the question is: why would an hdmi handshake issue change a preset on a menu???

12. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Can you tell if the S3 has had any reboots? I know that resets the screen resolution.

13. cbstv

cbstv New Member

Jan 5, 2007
  14. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry can't help you there. I know HDMI does a lot of weird things. I have one problem with HDMI involving my S3 and Westinghouse LWM42" 1080p LCD

S3 (1080i fixed) -> TV HDMI
    XBox 360 (1080p) -> TV Component 2

After I turn off the XBox 360, switch the TV input back to HDMI to watch Tivo, the TV screen turns all pink, the picture details are still there, just all pink. If I then power cycle the TV, then it's all back to normal.

15. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    On my Sceptre 1080P 42" that uses the SAME ChiMeiOpto LCD screen, this pinkness appears when a 'purely 1920x1080' souce (like my PS3 or PC) is viewed over the HDMI input with the 'HDMI' mode instead of the 'DVI' mode. The difference between these modes (on my TV) - only the DVI mode doesn't overscan (the HDMI or the HDMI-with-HDCP-enabled modes overscan pixels a wee bit)

Have you tried switching the input away fromt he digitals (go to antenna in, or composite or something analog) and THEN return to HDMI, on the TV? This SHOULD reset it or force a redetection to DVI (pure, no overscan) mode.

16. strongbadd

strongbadd New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I have the same Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver and I have a similar issue. When I power cycle the receiver and TV the TiVo resets the video output format to 1080i fixed. I have to go back in and manually change every time to 1080i Hybrid so I can get 4:3 content at 480p (I can't do native because my TV won't accept 480i over component). Note: I do not like 1080i fixed because the scaler on my TV is better than what the TiVo looks like.

My guess is that the Yammie receiver is not properly reporting back the resolutions the TV supports over the HDMI link and the TiVo resets its video output format based on these settings. To me, the best solution would be for TiVo to override what it receives from the HDMI link and use what is set in the menu (that is why the menu is there after all). TiVo should also add the much requested Native except for 480i setting so everything is sent native except 480i content which is upconverted to 480p.

17. JPShinn

JPShinn New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I've noticed a somewhat similar issue in that I'll switch on the TV (Pioneer Elite plasma) and the Processor (Halcro) in the am. Sometimes (only a couple times), the picture will open up as garbled in the top 1/3 of the screen and showing as something like 240p. I can fix it by switching to a known HD channel and forcing a resolution change.

Odd . . .

18. cbstv

cbstv New Member

Jan 5, 2007

just so I understand, as part of the hdcp handshake, the s3 will look for the tv's supported resolutions and adjust accordingly?? If this is so, then why bother to have a video resolution menu? Is there any way to lock this setting down to a specific resolution?

19. Jiffylush

Jiffylush New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Why bother?

So people who have devices that support multiple resolutions can choose.

Does seem like a bug to me if you set an option and it won't stay, would make more sense if you set it and then got no video.

20. cbstv

cbstv New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    seems to me like others are experiencing this change in resolutions, and that is just the way the s3 works. I thought my box was defective.