1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Personal Observations

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by RusRus, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1 of 27
    RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    Some observations about the Roamio basic.

The picture on my HD DVR is much crisper; clearer than the Roamio.

The OTA signal strength is much greater than the Roamio.

Shows transferred from the Roamio to my computer are not compatible with my HD DVR. When I try to transfer a program (that came from my Roamio) from my computer to my HD DVR I get a message that the recording is in HD and my HD DVR isn’t.. A red circle with a / through it appears to the left of the program.

But my main complaint about the Roamio is the soft, almost fuzzy, appearance whereas the HD DVR’s picture is sharp and crisp.

2. Nov 2, 2013 #2 of 27
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Are you sure your output resolution settings are correct?

3. Nov 2, 2013 #3 of 27
    RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    I've never been able to distinguish between 1080i and 720p as for picture quality.

4. Nov 2, 2013 #4 of 27
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    What dvr are you comparing roamio to?

5. Nov 2, 2013 #5 of 27
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Files transferred to a PC from a Roamio are encrypted. You have to decrypt them using something like DirectShow Dump or tivodecode for them to be compatible with other devices.

As for the quality difference have you checked the settings on your TV? Most TVs have independent settings for each input. So you may have the input for your HD DVR calibrated and the one for your TiVo isn't.

6. Nov 2, 2013 #6 of 27
    NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    When I got my Roamio Plus with Cablevision I had a Samsung DVR box and the RP hooked up to the same TV and didn't notice a change at all with the signal. I did, however, notice a big change with recorded shows. They were much better looking on the Roamio. With Cablevisions new "Record 10 shows at once" solution they keep everything on their servers so recordings are pixilated when playing back....and I have the Optimum 101 service which is the fastest service you can get.

So, I've been thrilled with my Roamio Plus as compared to Cablevisions Cloud DVR service. Not to mention RW, FF, Pause didn't happen until about 3 seconds after you pressed the corresponding button...and you could not rewind live tv! Yuck.

7. Nov 2, 2013 #7 of 27
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yeah, but maybe the Roamio is set to output 480i/p instead. As others have asked, have you checked it on the Roamio?

8. Nov 2, 2013 #8 of 27
    RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    Yes. It is showing HD but not quite as good as my HD DVR. The signal may be degraded when split off to four tuners instead of just two. Might also explain the lower input signal strength.

Any experts out there???

9. Nov 2, 2013 #9 of 27
    Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    It's a digital signal. It won't degrade when split.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The TiVo is taking the digital signal as transmitted by your cable provider and/or the over-the-air broadcaster and storing it exactly as they transmit it. If you are seeing variability between the TiVo and another receiver, that's more than likely a configuration issue with your setup, not with the TiVo.

11. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    By "HD DVR" do you mean a TiVo HD or something else?

12. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    Tivo HD

13. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Aren't there other settings for picture quality also. Something about sharpness. (not near my TiVo so can't check.) No matter, check all settings under video.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty sure that setting only affects analog channels. That option isn't even in the TiVo Roamio Pro, at least that I can find.

What I'd recommend is going to Settings & Messages -> Settings -> Video -> Video Output Format, and make sure the resolution selected is appropriate for your TV.

15. RusRus

RusRus New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Chula Vista, CA
    Been there. Done that.

Thanks to all responders but I've decided to go back to my Tivo HD and return the Roamio.

16. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    When i upgraded my s3 to a s4 xl4 i noticed a better looking picture. Similarity i observe improvements coming from xl4 to roamio basic. I especially notice on fast moving images a more pleasing picture. Seems to have a better framerate. This is when sending a 1080i signal from a 1080i broadcast show to a 1080p TV. I still have mY xl4 hooked up so ive been doing critical compare viewing.

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    One thing I didn't see mentioned...

Swap the DVR outputs going into the TV. Put the Roamio output on the input that the Tivo HD was using and vice-versa.
    See if your situation reverses.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No way there is a difference in the output of the TiVo HD and Roamio that you could perceive. Even if you were using both DVRs with a fixed output (720p or 1080i), the scalars in the two are not that much different (other than the Roamio can output to 1080p). Most likely you didn't use the same input and your inputs have different video settings. Most modern tvs don't use the same video settings for all inputs anymore.

19. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Do you have the Roamio hooked up via HDMI?

20. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah, there's more to this story... running the SDUI? bad cable or connected in some other manner? different input settings as mentioned above?