1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Name Is Earl 1/19/06 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Chapper1, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Chapper1

Chapper1 Broncos Faithful

Jan 1, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    This was a great episode. It had a Resevoir Dogs/Blues Brothers vibe to it.

The best part was seeing Darnell get his job at the Winky Dinky Dog office, as a mail/office supply guy. My wife and I had to pause for a couple minutes we were laughing so hard...

2. boywaja

boywaja Active Member

Sep 30, 2001
    rubberband man. My favorite moment in this ep as well.

3. Hockey9

Hockey9 Frozen Tivo

Jan 21, 2002
    Minnesota
  4. skinnyjm

skinnyjm I'm Grumpy???

Feb 10, 2005
    Milky Way
    You forgot Kill Bill when they were all walking toward the Winky Dinky Dog office. :D
    And speaking of "Winky Dinky Dog", wasn't that the name of the place in Hollywood Shuffle. ???

5. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for those. I've heard a lot about the OfficeMax ads since Earl started, but had never seen them. They're kind of fun, but I don't really see what the fuss is about, honestly.

6. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    The Tall City
    "Your it, stinky lips."

The ads are fun, office supplies are not. Thus the attraction to the ads.

7. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    The Rubber Band Man ads are my favorites. They are among the very few I'll stopped FFFing for! :D

8. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    the copyier stuck in the door was funny. also the toe in the hot dog.

9. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    My husband and I got the joke before he said anything because we were watching on a tv where the close captioning was on before the kids lost the remote. With the words there you can't help but read them "well the thing is earl....."

Emily

10. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    My husband and I thought this episode was just so-so. In fact, he pointed out Earl is "regressing" and I agree. The last two episodes weren't that good. Have they just abandoned the show now that NBC put it up against CSI? And frankly (pun intended), the toe thing was just plain gross. Funny that the guy had already cut it off, but seeing it was gross. I know TV is big on the "gross-out factor" these days with all the stuff on CSI and NCIS, but I guess I'm just a bit squeamish.

Cheryl

11. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Yeah, Earl regressed in this episode. He eliminated some bad karma while earning some more.

Gotta love Darnell's Rubber Band Man remake. Classic! :up:

12. yostmatt

yostmatt mE

Apr 6, 2005
    Hollidaysbur...
    That was great, not what he said, but how he said it.

13. dtle

dtle Active Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philly, PA
    It's a funny coincidence that the episode aired just days after the Wendy's fake-finger woman got convicted.

14. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    That's what I was thinking. I liked how they didn't tell Darnell about it because they wanted an honest reaction.

15. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Okay, I may be reaching here, but did it seem to anyone else like the little CEO guy ("Mr. Winky Dinky") was a living version of the insurance company boss in The Incredibles (voiced by Wallace Shawn)?

I only mention this because if so, it might have been an intentional tie-in to Jason Lee, who voiced Syndrome/Buddy Pine in that movie.

16. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Perhaps it didn't mean anything but it cracked me up that the Winky Dinky CEO's entourage were all as short as him. :D

17. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Great episode! I also thought the copier stuck in the doorway was hilarious.

The "throw-away sight gag" (if there is such a thing) of Randy in a suit with a four-beer buzz giving a pie-chart presentation in the conference room had me in stitches. Deft touch to leave it to your imagination what he might be saying. :)

"All we had to do was avoid getting fired before 5:00" :D

This show continues to deliver, in my view.

18. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    "...But they look like pens!"

19. ravonaf

ravonaf New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Great episode. I loved how they all came out of hiding. One of the funniest yet. I especially love how they keep bringing back characters from previous episode. I think this show just keeps getting better.

20. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Probably my least favorite episode so far. I've enjoyed in the past how Earl is a formerly bad dude trying to be good for karmic purposes. Being bad to bad people to help good people doesn't strike me as particularly karmic (though, I must confess, I know less about karma than an expert like Carson Daly). Wouldn't the toe thing hurt lots of innocent people, too (innocent Winky Dinky employees, etc.)?

Yes, I'm overthinking, but this show is SO good that seeing a show that doesn't quite fit the premise bothered me a little. Still the most entertaining show I've watched this week (since Arrested Development wasn't on)...

I will say, though, that Randy's presentation on a four-beer buzz was pure comedic genius (especially, as mentioned, the closed-door aspect).