1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HDTiVo Lost all channels??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Stormspace, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Last night I got home and my THD had lost all it's channels. None were showing up at all. This THD does not have a cable card, tuning adapter, or any of those new-fangled Copy Protection wrappers cable companies like to unload on unsuspecting customers. Just a plain vanilla THD with no mods.

I restarted the box and the channels came back. In fact, I shorted the intro video by going to the TiVo menu and hit live TV. I saw a message for a moment or two that it was locating channels. Wouldn't the analog tuner have just shown them?

Ideas on what might have happened? Is my box dying?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about analog cable channels or digital over the air channels or both?

3. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Analog cable channels. Didn't check to see if any clear QAM channels were affected.

4. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Interesting problem.
    Probably should have called TiVo support to see what they have to say about the problem, as they cannot blame cable card or tuning adapter...

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Always be suspicious of your cable company.

Always check their feed with a television's own tuner in real time if there's a problem anywhere.

They could have momentarily accidentally bumped into the "force everyone to go digital and pay us more money" switch that you know they have to have hidden away somewhere.

Seriously, they have to have equipment that takes a bunch of signals, demodulates them into baseband audio and video and re-modulates them NTSC-style on the old broadcast/analog cable frequencies, and that could have failed and recovered at a time and in a way to make you think it was the TiVo's fault.

Cable companies are very good at co-incidences like that.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to schedule a "get along without the TiVo for a day or so" period sometime soon, and open it up to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive and check out the power supply while the lid's off.

6. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    One of my series 2 did that once, a restart brought them back.

7. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    While I wouldn't put it past the cable company to do something like that, I did check live TV on one of the other TiVos in the house. Everything was fine there, however it was a series 2.

8. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it was caused on my series 2 by by several power blips in a row, never did it again was months ago.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, a TiVo isn't a television's own tuner, but if you've got the co-ax plugged straight into the back of the S2, no cable boxes or anything, and got channels, then your actual analog cable channels were present.

Maybe the HD got momentarily confused about whether it was supposed to be looking for analog or non-cable card digital cable channels.

Whisper the word "intermittent" around anyone who troubleshoots electronics, and watch their blood pressure skyrocket.

10. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Make that troubleshoots anything system or device.

Cars get bought back because of intermittent problems all the time, and not just for electrical problems.