1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MVR with new Tivo does not work

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mglutz, Sep 15, 2013.

1. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I have a new TiVo premiere XL that I just connected but during the move a addition of the new TiVo I have lost the ability to do MVR. Here is what happened.

1) I initially wanted to use the old TiVo Premiere in the bedroom with just an OTA signal so I took the cablecard and tuning adapter and installed them in the new Premiere XL.

2) All looked good and I could browse the now playing list on the old TiVo on the New TiVo.

3) I decided I didn't like the old TiVo without the cablecard and so I got a CableCard and tuning adapter and installed them.

4) At some point before I realized that MVR wasn't working I changed both TiVo names. Later I changed them back because I thought that might be the problem.

5) I set up a TiVo Mini - that worked and still works

6) at some point after 5 I saw that MVR wasn't working on either TiVo - both boxes showed the other TiVo grayed out with an explanation point

7) I tried resets, reboots with no success. I then selected the option "I no longer have this TiVo" thinking that when it reappeared on the network it might trigger a new connection. - This may have been a big mistake, since then neither shows the other TiVo since. Checked ports, reset the router, and even reset the TiVo XL to 'clear and delete everything" since I had nothing to lose (the other TiVo has a lot of recordings so I can't do that without losing a lot of shows)

8) TiVo.com support said to force a new network connection and restart each TiVo - no joy

9) TiVo.com again went through a bunch of resets, changing settings etc... with no change.

10) Last option from TiVo.com was that the MoCA bridge was somehow keeping the TiVo's from seeing each other.

Both TiVo's can connect to the network (vis MoCA connections), I can use kmttg and pytivo with no problem, the TiVo Mini works.

Long post, but I'd appreciate some help as Tivo.com has given up

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    It normally takes a few days when setting up a new box to be able to stream or transfer. I believe that, officially, it can be up to three days. However, a few service connections can shorten that period by a bit.

3. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks. It's been 2 days and still no MVR. I've been forcing network connections a few times a day. Out of town for a few days maybe when I get back....

Very Frustrated

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

MVR = Multi-View Rooming ?

:D

5. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Yes

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    lol!

That actually has about a 2 year lag. Maybe 3.

7. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Just to verify explicitly on TiVo.com/DVR Preferences page: you have checked the Video sharing box for all of the DVR's in question?

One way of tracking changes on this page is to change the name of the DVR and force connections until that is reflected on the Home Network.

michael

8. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Yes the boxes are checked.

I wondered about changing the names either on the boxes or on TiVo.com then seeing if the change went through to 'the other side' but I was afraid of doing more harm. I use pyTiVo and while the box names were changed (done on the box and confirmed at Tivo.com) during my steps above, I noted that pyTivo was somehow using the original name. So I changed them back to make sure they were all consistent. I've wanted to let it settle to see if things would sync up - still no luck

9. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I'm going to try to disable the boxes, force a network update, wait 24 hours then recheck the boxes, force a network connection and see what happens...

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'd change the order of that
    uncheck boxes, wait 24hrs, force connection, recheck boxes, wait at least 12 hours, force connection.

I don't know if it still applies today, but years ago, tivo.com said it could take upwards of 6 hours for these changes to take effect, so connecting right after making the change would be pointless.

I wouldn't recommend the name change test because sometimes changing the name of a tivo can be problematic.

11. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    So I changed the settings back and forth and waited 24hrs after each change and forced connections and I still don't have MVR.

This is really upsetting, the main reason I got the 2nd TiVo was to take advantage of MVR. I was going a LOT cheaper with a Roku and PLEX, but thought I'd like MVR enough to make it worthwhile. If I can't get it working I have a week left to return the TiVo and et my money back.

I thought TiVo was monitoring these forums?

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    No. TiVo monitors their own support forum...

here: http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp

...Which if you haven't already, you should post your problem there as well.

13. mglutz

mglutz New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Problem solved. For anyone else that read this thread: Make sure the MoCA adapter comes before a tuning adapter if one is needed. I messed up and had the cable going to the tuning adapter first. Swapped then and everything started working without any additional network connections or reboots.