1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Choice, No Longer a Choice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CoxInPHX, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1 of 12
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not that it is a great loss, as all the videos were SD only, But I see TiVo has removed Music Choice Video downloads as an option.

(Note: if you want 720p and 1080p Music Videos on your TiVo just download them from YouTube and use pyTivo to push or pull them.)

2. Oct 2, 2012 #2 of 12
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Interesting, I just watched a couple of videos last week. Didn't use it that often as the choices didn't seem to change very often but I did check it out every couple of months.

Scott

3. Oct 2, 2012 #3 of 12
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I just downloaded a bunch of music video's last week.

Today I went in to see if they had any lifehouse videos and was greated by the follower purple tv screen after clicking on music choice

Edit: Just asked TiVo about this. They stated that they were not able to renew their contract with Music Choice and the Contract has Expired.

Looks like this feature is gone for good.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #4 of 12
    Elryzor

Elryzor New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Well this just sucks. My family used Music Choice a lot.

I don't let my kids use YouTube without supervision. I sure don't want to watch them look for videos they like.

The lack of warning really angers me too. It's too much trouble to let us know they were having trouble renewing their contract? But they can put a stupid bounty add all over the place whether I want it or not?

compared to TiVo, Comcast is starting to look like a better company all the time.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #5 of 12
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    :(

True. In fact, last I checked, you couldn't even get HD music videos from iTunes by paying for them (SD only), but you can get them from YouTube for free. :rolleyes:

6. Oct 2, 2012 #6 of 12
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I didn't even know this was a thing.

7. Oct 3, 2012 #7 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's too bad. I browsed every now and then to see if I recognized anything new. Not much appealed to me.
    I come from 80's heavy metal and the videos that did appeal to me, I had already seen elsewhere.

Side note: I miss MTV's Headbanger's Ball and Z-rock radio. :(

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. TiVo has their faults, but cable companies are inherently EVIL. :D
    I agree that TiVo should have let us know. They deprived us of the slightest possibility that us users might have been able to contact the owners of Music Choice and persuade them to continue the contract.

Question is, what happened?
    Did negotiations even take place?
    Personally, I think it was just dropped due to lack of subscriber usage.

8. Oct 3, 2012 #8 of 12
    RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    Compared to Music Choice on the Verizon STB thats sitting next to our Tivo the selection of music or rate of updates wasn't a patch on it. I contacted Tivo support ages ago about this and got the impression that Tivo only had the most basic level that the Music Choice folks offer. (Pure arm-waving speculation follows) Maybe Tivo didn't renew as the people behind Music Choice may have pushed Tivo to pony up for a more comprehensive/expensive package that they couldn't justify the price of in terms of adding or keeping subscribers? Sucks for us of course but probably makes sense from a corporate perspective.

Now if only the YouTube app could play the official, Vevo?, music videos I'd be happier but pretty much any time I try and get one of these up for the kids on the Tivo I just get a "This video cannot play" and wind up watching one of the thousand cover ... errr ... tribute videos that pop up all over the place. Even if I save one of these as a favourite, log onto my YouTube account on Tivo and check they don't even get listed under Favourites. Not sure if this is a codec issue with these official videos or another contract hitch.

9. Oct 3, 2012 #9 of 12
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It really was a poor offering. There was no way to browse the full list, yet, they didn't have enough of a selection to make searching worthwhile either.

10. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Yeah, the Vevo would be nice. For what ever reason those vidoes, and other music videos not through them are set with a flag that only allows them to be played through a computer. They are h.264, I am able to download them and push them to my tivo. I can't play them on my iPad either, it justs tells me the video is not authorized for this device.

Yeah, the music choice wasn't the best package. It wasn't updated often, no hd and it didn't list half of what they had which always required me to search. I searched a lot more though when the iOS app came out and I could use the keyboard functionality.

I kind of miss music choice though because I don't have any cable company box, so I can't access cox on demand what so ever.

Edit: Just checked my email and I got a response from Music Choice. I had emailed very politely one of their SVP on this and asked if he could direct this to who ever could would their magic. (I couldn't find any real contact information on their webpage other then leave a comment so I Googled for management contact info.

I just got an email back from someone in their public relations department with the following response:

It does seem now like it was tivo who backed out on the deal and Music Choice wanted to continue a relationship and still hopes to work with tivo in the future.

If anyone want's his email address or phone number pm. But I wonder if TiVo managment would be better to reach out too?

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I figure either TiVo wants to drop the service and let the contract lapse or Music Choice wants more $$ and TiVo doesn't want to pay it.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Would it kill them to communicate with customers?