1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Tivo's with Tivo Desktop software

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Zaphod, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Des Moines,...
    I've got a Tivo HD and looking at buying a 2nd one (another Tivo HD, not the new higher end one though). How does the Tivo Desktop software (free version is all I have and all I really want) work with multiple Tivo's. Looks like I can put only a single MAK into the copy of Tivo Desktop I have now. What do I have to do to be able to use the single copy of Tivo Desktop on my single computer with both Tivo's, both for pulling programs off of the Tivo's as well as acting as a server for either of them.

Thank you.

2. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Each of your TiVos has a name. Mine are Living Room and Bedroom. TiVo Desktop has a menu that lets you choose which TiVo you want to transfer too/from. If I choose Living Room I can see all of the recordings on the Living Room TiVo.

3. steve101

steve101 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Virginia, USA
    Your MAK is part of your Tivo Account, one MAK no matter how many
    Tivo's you have listed on your Account.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, i have no problem with seven TiVos and TiVo desktop.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Des Moines,...
    Great! Thanks for the information!!

6. overthetop75

overthetop75 New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Also another cool thing is that you can download 1 program from each tivo at the same time. I only have 2 hd tivos so I am not sure if you can do more or not at the same time. It does make getting shows off of the tivo twice as fast.

7. dargoo

dargoo New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    where is this magic menu? my tivo desktop only can see one box
    even though the 2 tivo's can see each other. thanks

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It's in the "Pick Recordings to Transfer" window.

[​IMG]

9. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    One problem though, is if you have recorded the same show on different units (say 1 QAM & the other ATSC) and transfer them you get something like:
    ShowName(1)
    ShowName(2)
    instead of something more flexible like
    ShowName (ATSC Bedroom S3)
    ShowName (QAM Office S3)
    I wish you could specify a naming convention using Tivo Desktop as well as see the complete metadata (including recorded channel number) through Desktop.
    I'm looking for someting like: ShowName-Season#Episode#-Channel-RecDate-TivoName.tivo
    So for example,
    Fringe-S01E01-X-Files-Remake-Chennal-212-01.01.2009.OfficeS3.tivo

10. Marat

Marat TiVoholic

Aug 22, 2004
    Daly City, CA
    Sweet! So i can transfer shows and movies to my PC's HD from multiple Tivo's at the same time?
    Also, the movies and shows that are on my PC's HD, can i transfer them back to my Tivo later on?
    Thanks

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes.

Yes.

12. Pyperkub

Pyperkub New Member

Jun 6, 2011

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Open the Tivo Server Properties dialog and click on the Access Control tab.
    Do you see all of your Tivos listed?
    If not, you might try changing your discovery protocol. Tivo Server Properties -> Network tab.

Also, you might try giving each of your Tivos a static IP address (if you haven't done so already).

14. Swut

Swut New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks Steve614! Once I switched from Bonjour for windows to Tivo Beacon, everything started working properly. (It's under Services/Tivo Server Properties/Network).

15. Maxcats

Maxcats New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Can anyone advise if the file transfer times are quicker between two or more Tivos if they are both hard wired into the LAN?

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I prefer to copy to PC to preserve the metadata, but if you're going to be watching the show almost right away, TiVo to TiVo is okay.

Wired connections are faster, but even with at least one of the TiVos involved using the TiVo wireless G adapter, it's fast enough that I can set up the copy (TiVo calls it a transfer, but the original is not erased), wait 2-5 minutes, and start watching, and even fast-forwarding through commercials it'll get all of the show to the second unit before I watch to the end.

17. Maxcats

Maxcats New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks Unitron!

Can you advise what software you use to watch the Tivo files on your PC?

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I watch television on a television.

However, if I need to take a quick look at a .tivo file on the PC to make sure it's alright or if all I've got for a file name is like "Charlie Rose" and the date recorded and want to see who the guests were that night, I use the version of Windows Media Player that comes with XP, which is what I'm running on all of my PCs right now, although I did have to scrounge around on the internet for a free codec pack to install to get the sound to work.

19. rdauenhauer

rdauenhauer New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I NOW THIS IS AN OLD THREAD BUT...
    after many yrs of use and satisfaction with "old" technology I try to leverage Tivo Desktop to do some transferring from HD Tivo 1 to PC to HD Tivo 2 but I soon realized Id never added #2 to my online acct so....
    login (1st time quite a while) attempt to ad or "active" my additional HD box...
    And NO JOY !!
    Sorry no longer supported - buy a new one!!!!!

whats the point of selling Lifetime subscriptions if you refuse to support them!
    POS!

20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sounds like you already have lifetime so I think you will just need to call TiVo and get them to "transfer"/add it to your account.

As far as I know you always had to do that for transfers.

Scott