1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mp4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mm2margaret, Dec 11, 2013.

1. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    My new Roamio, the "device to rule them all" as in play anything and everything does not seem to know how to play MP4 files. The only way I can play them is convert them to MPEG2 files.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Tivo just full of it with their advertising? Because if the Roamio can't play MP4 files, it's abilities to handle lots of different file types like you would see with Internet and streaming TV is, well, nothing.

Anybody know anything about this?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    For now the only way to do this is to either purchase TiVo Desktop Plus or use pyTiVo. TD+ costs $15 and honestly doesn't work all that great, but it should work with most of your files. pyTiVo works a lot better, but can be a serious PITA to install and get running. Especially for someone who's not computer savvy.

Once TiVo opens the Opera store we may have access to a DLNA app which can play these files more directly.

3. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I use vuze, which is really easy to set up and use.

It's a torrent client, but you can drag and drop any files from your computer into the listings for your tivo under the "device manager," and it transcodes them and they immediately show up in a folder on your now playing list so you can transfer them to the tivo.

But beware, you need to do an advanced installation and decline to install tons of crapware.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    pyTivo

push mp4 files to the TiVo all the time.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    True, but almost anyone with a little patience can get enough help to get it done, either on this forum, or preferably on the pyTivo forum:
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/
    For Windows a good starting point is the Windows Install instructions on the pyTivo Wiki:
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install
    AFAIK these instructions are reasonably up to date. And if you have problems, get help on the pyTivo forum.