TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Moving not OTA anymore!

6K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  ciscokid 
#1 ·
Have OTA lifetime, but now moving out to the country. The antenna site says we're too far out for an antenna. Can I use my OTA TIVO with Verizon FIOS- I know thr TIVO box would have to be modified. Is it possible? I love my TIVO and don't want to give it up.

#2 ·
Not unless it's a Roamio HD with a cable card slot that will do OTA or cable but not both at the same time.

I would think if your in an area that FiOS serves you'd be close enough to get tv reception.
Outside amplified tv antennas pull in signals from way way off.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk.

#4 ·
these are our channels. we can't put an antenna up outside due to HOA, but I guess we could in the attic... but our media center will be 2 floors below in the basement.

between Annapolis and Wash DC. Now this chart says we can use an antenna. the other channel list said no.

Attachments

#6 ·
Read up on the OTARD regulations. HOA can't stop an outside installation if that is what's needed for reliable reception. Look for a used Roamio Basic that you can pull the cable card bracket out of. The OTA can do cable but it needs the cable card bracket. I pulled the bracket out of one of my Basic's that the cable tuner was bad and swapped it to the OTA and redid setup for cable and was good to go again.

Sent from my iPhone

#8 ·
Read up on the OTARD regulations. HOA can't stop an outside installation if that is what's needed for reliable reception. Look for a used Roamio Basic that you can pull the cable card bracket out of. The OTA can do cable but it needs the cable card bracket. I pulled the bracket out of one of my Basic's that the cable tuner was bad and swapped it to the OTA and redid setup for cable and was good to go again.

Sent from my iPhone
I was thinking I could get a roamio basic on ebay, pull the cable card bracket and plug verison fios into it. Then at least I dont have to pay them for 1-2 DVRs
is that right?? thx

#9 ·
Read up on the OTARD regulations. HOA can't stop an outside installation if that is what's needed for reliable reception......

Sent from my iPhone
That isn't the law. You are only entitled to put up an antenna in a non common area, and somewhere only you have access to and is under your control. You can ask to install it anywhere but the don't have to let you. It can't even hang out over in the air out of your space or they can deny it.

#10 ·
That isn't the law. You are only entitled to put up an antenna in a non common area, and somewhere only you have access to and is under your control. You can ask to install it anywhere but the don't have to let you. It can't even hang out over in the air out of your space or they can deny it.
Ok did I miss something that said this would be a condo, townhome or something with a common area. OP said country so I assumed a stand alone home that wouldn't have a common area.

#12 ·
The HOA law was put in place because hoa's would not allow mini "satellite" dishes...... and if I remember correctly, the "antenna" can not be larger than 1 meter and can not be in a common area, or the antenna placement be in the way of safety. I also think you have to get permission on the placement of the "antenna"

#14 ·
Antenna installs can be tricky. I live 35mi west of Chicago and EVERY indoor antenna I tried was utter crap. The solution for me was mounting the high gain VHF/UHF antenna on the roof, with a pre-amp, and I used a good quality RG6 coax run directly to the TiVo.

Put it outside, put it up high, it'll work. You're not that far from the transmitters.

#15 ·
Ota roamio has no cable card tuners...will not work. Pm me, I might want to take it off your hands. I live on the island. Thanks
Not true. The Roamio OTA has the same tuners as the base model, QAM and ATSC. In fact I have them both working at the same time, contrary to popular belief.

You can do as has been already mentioned, take the Cablecard bracket out of an old Roamio or bolt and install it in the OTA and then do guided setup as you would any full fledged Roamio.

#16 ·
Not true. The Roamio OTA has the same tuners as the base model, QAM and ATSC. In fact I have them both working at the same time, contrary to popular belief.

You can do as has been already mentioned, take the Cablecard bracket out of an old Roamio or bolt and install it in the OTA and then do guided setup as you would any full fledged Roamio.
That is what I would do... I would purchase a used, base Roamio without service and grab the cable card bracket out of it.

I bet you can find one for less than $50

#17 ·
I'm having them run rg6 to the attic in the wiring stage, and hopefully an internal antenna will work there.

Hoa will not allow external antenna. It's explicity written in. I'd rather modify my Roamio OTA than begin my relationship with them fighting over this. It is a house, in a community with rules.

If i get an old Roamio or bolt, will any do, or are there specific models to avoid?

#19 ·
I'm having them run rg6 to the attic in the wiring stage, and hopefully an internal antenna will work there.

Hoa will not allow external antenna. It's explicity written in. I'd rather modify my Roamio OTA than begin my relationship with them fighting over this. It is a house, in a community with rules.

If i get an old Roamio or bolt, will any do, or are there specific models to avoid?
HOA has no say on external antennas. Mine states the same thing...I've had my antenna for over a year now hanging off the side of my house. If they ever want to say something I will be happy to refer them to the Federal Law stating as such...

#21 ·
How do you do that?
Run guided setup for antenna, then after its all done, plug in a cablecard and/or TA if your area uses them, and then it'll pop up a message asking if you want to also setup your TiVo with cable. Say yes and off you go! :)

The big issue is that there's only one RF coax input, so signals can interfere without any "creative filtering" installed.

#22 ·
That is what I would do... I would purchase a used, base Roamio without service and grab the cable card bracket out of it.

I bet you can find one for less than $50
I'm missing something. If you could get a used base Roamio, why would you not just activate service on the Roamio versus move the bracket to the Roamio OTA.

Maybe I'm missing some key detail.

#24 ·
Run guided setup for antenna, then after its all done, plug in a cablecard and/or TA if your area uses them, and then it'll pop up a message asking if you want to also setup your TiVo with cable. Say yes and off you go! :)

The big issue is that there's only one RF coax input, so signals can interfere without any "creative filtering" installed.
Wow. Did not know the software allowed that. So the resulting channels in the guide will include OTA ATSC channels and cable channels?

And as far as interference, are the cable QAM signals and OTA ATSC signals on (any of) the same frequencies?

Now I want to experiment :)

#26 ·
HOA has no say on external antennas. Mine states the same thing...I've had my antenna for over a year now hanging off the side of my house. If they ever want to say something I will be happy to refer them to the Federal Law stating as such...
That is true you have the right to put up an antenna to receive OTA or even a small sat antenna, it is federal law no matter what they write into the home owners by laws that even goes for rental apartments and townhomes.

The last area I lived in they had written in a restriction barring people from parking on the street in front of their homes. That only can be done if the roads are privately owned and maintained but not if they are publc. The street in front of the homes was a public road and the home owners associtation tried to fine people that parked there and lien their property if they didnt pay but soon found out that they would not only loose that battle in court but could be sued for filing and illegal lien and gave up trying to fine people any longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.