1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move Hard Drive from one Premiere to another without loss.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by teewow, Jul 13, 2012.

1. teewow

teewow New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Is it possible to move a hard drive from one Tivo Premiere to another ... without having to reformat it? I will be using Comcast cablecard. Both Premieres have lifetime service. Thanks !

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    No, you will have to do a Clear and Delete Everything in order for the drive to work.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The answer to your question is Yes, but it may not be the answer to the information that you are really asking for. You could be wondering if you'd have to remove the drive and connect it to a pc to do computer geek stuff to it before putting it in the other Tivo. The answer to that is No. You could be wanting to know if you can swap drives and watch the recordings made on the previous Premiere. The answer to that is No. As mentioned by WhiskeyTango, you'd need to do a C&DE which will delete all existing recordings, in order for the software on the drive to function properly, but a C&DE is not reformatting the drive.

4. teewow

teewow New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

HD from Tivo1 to Tivo2

So do I do a Clear and Delete to the drive in Tivo1 before I put it in Tivo2?

What happens when I boot up Tivo2? Will it behave like a new Tivo being booted for the first time?

Thanks !

5. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When you boot up the 2nd Tivo that has had the transplanted drive you will need to do a C&DE on it for it to operate properly.

It will not have the proper TSN since the drive and motherboard won't match, the C&DE will do what's best described as a full reset, and then the OS will properly know the TSN it's using. (not overly technical explanation)

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No. You'll just waste time. Just doing it will waste an hour and then when you put it in Tivo2, you'd have to repeat guided setup before you could get to the option of running C&DE which would then require you to go through guided set up again.

That depends on what state the hard drive was in when it was removed from Tivo1 but in most cases no, it's already been set up so it will boot to normal operation. It just won't function properly until you C&DE.

7. teewow

teewow New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Thank you all !!

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    To save time start the C&D on the first TiVo and when the first TiVo screen shows up wait about 5 seconds than pull the power plug, put the drive into the 2nd TiVo and the C&D all will happen automatically on the 2nd TiVo. When finished you will be ready to set up the 2nd TiVo without having to repeat the C&D all.