1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most common cause of cablecards not getting some channels!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Sepia, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Sepia

Sepia TiVo Special Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Greetings all,

I think I may have found what can be the main cause for most people not getting certain channels (premium channels for example) through their cablecards.

In short, if the signal strength of your cable line is not enough, the "hit" your cable company sends to your cablecard might not register. Increasing the cable strength solved the problem.

The long story:

A tech from Charter Communications came in for my initial install, put both cablecards in programmed them and went on his way. After I finished the guided setup, I noticed that:
    1. Cablecard1 was not getting HBO, Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, HDNet (premium channels).
    2. Cablecard 2 was ok getting all the channels.

I called Charter, and they verified in their computers that both cards are identicial in the "codes" they have, ie, they are both authorized to receive all these channels. She sent a "hit" to my cablecards again and asked me if it worked, but no dice.

We setup an appointment with a technician to come over. He came today with a brand new cablecard, removed cablecard1, and replaced it with the new one, called it in, got it programmed, we got the "hit" but no dice again, no premium channels.

We tried numerous times to send a "hit" from the cable company, and in the cablecard menu it said AUTH RECEIVED, but no dice every time on the premium channels (we even waiting 30 minutes).

Then a thought occured to me. The signal from the main cable line comes to a three way splitter, and one of them goes into the TiVo and spits again (for the dual tuner).

I asked the tech to check the signal strength (it showed OK via TiVo). The tech used his own device to check to strength and it turns out I had very low signal strength. I changed the three way splitter into a two way, and he modified some lines in the house to increase the strength, then we called it in, and when we got the "hit" this time it took.

That was it, the signal strength was initially not enough to program the cablecard...

2. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    That's actually a pretty common theory from what I've read here. Also in the instructions that you give to the installer it tells YOU to make sure that the TiVo is connected directly from the wall, disconnect any splitters.

3. bsather

bsather New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    WI
    My Charter tech specifically asked how the cable was connected to the S3 from the wall outlet. I have it running thru a 2-way splitter, and the signal was fine.

He then wanted to make sure that the cable was not connected to any type of surge protector or suppressor. He said some of those will prevent the hit getting thru to the cards.

4. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    The Comcast tech who did my install went over everything from the outside lines in, redid all the connectors and rearranged the splits before he started the card install.

Said that bad connections and too many splits cause most of the problems.

5. Sepia

Sepia TiVo Special Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well aren't you all lucky to have more experienced cable techs than I did :p