1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA Without Cable Modem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hbmatt, Mar 24, 2013.

1. hbmatt

hbmatt New Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Is it possible to create a MoCA network without a cable modem? My router (Apple TimeCapsule) is fed the internet connection via ethernet cable from a Cincinnati Bell Fioptics box in a utility closet. There is no visible cable modem. What I'd like to do is use a Tivo Premiere XL4 to create the MoCA network by connecting the Tivo Premiere XL4 box to the TimeCapsule with an ethernet cable and then connect the coax cable from the wall into the Tivo. From there, I'm hoping that I can connect other Tivos (Minis or another Premiere box) with the coax cable from the wall directly into the other Tivo boxes and utilize the MoCA network to enable the Whole Home functionality with Tivo. Any idea if this will work?

2. jmr50

jmr50 New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    There's no relationship between cable modem and MoCA whatsoever.

3. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    MoCA does not require a switch like most wired ethernet today. It is a bus architecture where all the nodes operate as independent units. Routers provided by some cable/internet providers can function as a MoCA to wired ethernet bridge but it only serves as a link to other wired ethernet devices and the internet. It does not function as a MoCA switch. MoCA doesn't need a switch. The router is just a link. The Premiere 4's can function as a MoCA to ethernet bridge, a link, just as you want to do. So yes, it will work.