1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA - Where to put the adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Revdavez, May 6, 2013.

1. Revdavez

Revdavez New Member

May 6, 2013
    Hello! I'm upgrading my standard Premiere unit to an XL4 (arrives tomorrow!) and i've also included one MoCA adapter to my order. I'm hoping to use my current premiere unit as the second room... but i'm not sure where I should place the adapter to get the best use out of it. \

If the XL4 has MoCA built in, where does the adapter go in this setup? Do I need to buy a second MoCA box? for the original premiere?

2. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If the other Premiere doesn't have MoCA, then you need a MoCA adapter for it. Then you either need to plug the XL4 into the router with Ethernet, or put a switch at the second location, and plug the router into that with Ethernet. Or if the router isn't near either, get another MoCA adapter for it.

3. Revdavez

Revdavez New Member

May 6, 2013
    Ok, great. The XL4 is right next to the router, and can easily get an ethernet cable. Sounds like I can just put the MoCA adapter on the second non-MoCA installed premiere and that should work. Thanks!

4. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yup. That should work.

5. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Keep in mind that the XL4 has MoCA built in so regardless if it's near the router or not so it wouldn't need an adapter itself, if an adapter is connected to the router (or if using Verizon FiOS and using their MoCA router) the XL4 can connect to the MoCA network natively. But since the XL4 is near the router, he can use the XL4 as a MoCA bridge and create the MoCA network, and just connect the MoCA adapter to the Premiere in the other room.