1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCa via Mini and Roamio to supplant home network

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MScottC, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm new to the MoCa scene. I have a Roamio Plus and a Mini on order.

My current network cable-modem and router and GigE switch are in my office, this is is where the Mini will sit. I have a single cat5 cable running via a very difficult run to have installed, running to a GigE switch and router running as a Wireless Access Point in my living room which is where my main TV is and Roamio Plus will live.

I'm wondering if A) can I plug my router or switch via a Cat 6 cable into the Mini in the office, and then plug the switch into the Ethernet port in the Living Room, and use the remaining ports on the switch to feed the WAP and other networked devices in my living room area? B) Will the performance over MoCa with the prior scenario be better than my current scenario?

What are the pros and cons of these situations?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you have gigbait in the livingroom already then you don't need MoCa. Just connect the Mini to your office switch via Ethernet and the TiVo into an open port on the wifi AP. If you need extra ports buy another switch for the livingroom.

MoCa should only be used if you don't have access to Ethernet. The priority of network types for TiVo streaming should be Ethernet > MoCa > Wifi. If you have Ethernet available then it's by far the best option and you should use it.

3. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Dan,
    Thanks for the quick reply. My concern was that I made the ends of the long cat 5 cable years ago, and I'm not sure they are 100% of what they could be. I was planning on trying the above mentioned scenario, if indeed it is at all capable of working, to see if I get better results via Ethernet or MoCa, but you seem solidly sure that Ethernet will indeed outperform MoCa.

4. jstevenson

jstevenson New Member

May 6, 2007
    so here's my question. Right now my cable goes into my main TV viewing area and is where my Tivo Roamio Plus will be.

Currently my downstairs TiVo gets internet via a powerline adapter (this will be replaced by a Mini).

Is my best bet to leave it as is? Or can I replace the powerline adapter with MOCA (ethernet into the Roamio Plus, Moca out to the downstairs Mini)? Obviously Moca would be nice as I wouldn't have to worry about using powerline anymore, and any additional TVs could be easily added in the future with a mini

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I doubt bad ends would really cause that much of a loss. There is packet loss detection built into the Ethernet protocol so even if they were causing a problem all it would do is slow down your connection, maybe make it drop to 10/100. That's still better then MoCa in most cases.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can get rid of the powerline adapter. The Mini can talk to the Roamio via MoCa and then the Roamio will talk to the internet via Ethernet.

This is of course assuming you get a Plus/Pro. The 4 tuner Roamio doesn't have MoCa, so if that's the one you got then you'll need to keep using the powerline adapter or get a standalone MoCa adapter for the network.