1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA Mini Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by GumboChief, Sep 20, 2013.

1. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Please advise:

Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet for networking & coax for cable input.
    Mini plugged into the coax (no Ethernet)

Would this work? Or would I need to buy a $50 MoCA bridge for the Mini?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That will work. You need to enable the MoCa bridge feature in the Roamio networking settings.

3. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Thank you Dan, because the person on Tivo tech support told me I would need a MoCA bridge for the Mini. Luckily I could tell she did not have a clue, and came here to double check.

4. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Follow up question. Where else can I buy a MoCA Point of Entry filter?
    The POE seems expensive on the Tivo site.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I bought one on eBay for $4 with free shipping.

6. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
  7. atrunco

atrunco New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    I am trying to do the exact same thing but have found limited info on MoCA. What is the POE and do you need one?
    Thanks very much.

8. WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
  9. nealm

nealm New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Follow up question, I am likely moving from fios to xfinity. Currently, I have a Roamio Plus connected via coax and a mini connected via coax.

My understanding from other posts is that fios routers are moca enabled so that's why things are working now. If I move to xfinity, will I need to buy a moca bridge to install at the router?

Thanks very much.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If your Roamio is not sitting next to the router then yes, otherwise no.

11. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    If you have a verizon actiontec fios router (MI424WR), you can pair that with your xfinity cable modem and get moca through coax that way.

12. kherr

kherr Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I thought that the Romio just needs an ethernet connection (which would end up connected to the router via a switch), and not necessarily has to be connected directly to the router???

13. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    correct, yes an ethernet connection that eventually gets out to the internet

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, any ethernet connection that can reach internet will do. My assumption usually though is that there are very limited ethernet connections if one is looking at MoCA, so most often the only ethernet available is at or near the router.

15. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Not sure if this belongs here, but it was the closest I could find.

I have been a Tivo user since 1998 and still have all 6 Tivos I bought although only four are now connected. I have always had them networked. On 1/28/14 I set up my Roamio Pro and at the bottom of my Now Playing Lists each Tivo showed the other three units.

I just noticed that the Roamio no longer shows the two HD Series 3 nor the Toshiba Series 2 units. Those three units all show in each other's Now Playing lists, but none show the Roamio.

The Roamio was originally connected via wireless but 2 months (maybe longer) ago, I changed that and the Roamio is now connected via ethernet cable direct to my router.

Since I don't use those networked connections in the Now Playing lists all that much, it could be that the older Tivos and the Roamio lost their network connectivity when I added the ethernet but I am not sure.

How can I re-establish the network between the Roamio and the others?

I need to correct the above. The Roamio DOES list the three older Tivos in the Now Playing List but when I try to open any one of them I see this error message:

Can't Connect to XXXX DVR

The XXX DVR could not be found.

There may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your Tivo boxes, or the DVR may have been unplugged.(C423)

For more info, visit tivo.com/help/C423

My networks are all functioning fine and the help for C423 was confusing at best.

16. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Explain: although only four are now connected. I have always had them networked what the difference between connected and networked ?

17. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Connected = Plugged in/usable.

Networked = Included in my home network/Listed and accessible at the bottom of each other's Now Playing List.

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    So when not plug in the networked has no meaning, and plug in without the network also has little use.
    I think I understand, but I am no sure.

19. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Now you are confusing me. Let me simplify. I own six Tivo units and two are in a closet somewhere. The other four are available for me to use at all times and on Stand By when not in use. I have had ALL my in use Tivos networked for years. In January when I got the Roamio Pro it was also added to my network and all Tivo units recognized each other even when in Stand By mode.

Some time after January, I changed my Roamio internet connection from wireless adaptor to an ethernet cable connected directly to my router.

Now I see that the 3 older units still see and recognize each other but do not see the Roamio. The Roamio sees the three older units but if I try to access any of them, I get the error message I posted yesterday in note 15: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10172678#post10172678

When I changed the Roamio from the wireless adaptor to the ethernet connection it appears the older units could no longer find the Roamio. The Roamio still sees the older units but no longer has any means of connecting to them.

I guess the real question is how do I set my network so Tivos using a wireless connection and the ethernet connected Roamio can see and communicate with each other?

20. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Make sure that 'video sharing' is checked on all of your boxes under your account on tivo.com

Force connections in to tivo, let them process and then reboot all of the tivos, as well as ALL of your networking equipment... routers, switches, etc.

Try an new ethernet cable on the Roamio.

hmmmm... the other three Tivos are all connecting wirelessly? ok, what is your network topology?