1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moca for multiple devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by UCLABB, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1 of 13
    UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I just bought a MOCA kit mainly for the TiVo Premiere. However, I would also like to plug in a media player and maybe other equipment at a later date and the MOCA device has only one ethernet port. Would an inexpensive ethernet switch work with the MOCA?

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TE10...id=1347130806&sr=1-1&keywords=ethernet+switch

2. Sep 8, 2012 #2 of 13
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Absolutely. I have my MoCA adapter going into a switch to which are connected my PC, Premiere, and a network printer. Works great.

3. Sep 9, 2012 #3 of 13
    ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    windracer, what adapter are you using? I cannot make the Actiontec ECB2200 work with more than two devices behind it.

4. Sep 9, 2012 #4 of 13
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I have a combination of Netgear MCAB1001 adapters and Actiontec ECB2200 adapters and I'm using TRENDnet gigabit switches.

I'm not sure why your Actiontec would care if it has a switch or a single device connected to it.

5. Sep 9, 2012 #5 of 13
    ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I figured it was a limitation of the actiontec. The switch is fine just not more than two devices behind it.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #6 of 13
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I'm not following ... so you can connect a switch to the Actiontec, but if you have more than two devices connected to the switch, the MoCA adapter stops working?

7. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My configuration is Westell (the FIOS router) -> coax -> Actiontec ECB2200 -> switch. This configuration works as long as there is only 2 devices connected to to the switch. If I add a third then it will get an IP address.

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Did you mean it will not get an IP address? Because if not, I'm still confused.

Maybe your router is out of DHCP addresses?

9. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Oops yes will not get an IP. The router can't be out of IPs since I can connect with WiFi. The MOCA 8 device limitation should not be a factor since the westell, 2 TiVos, slingbox, WDLive on moca. It is strange. I can work around it so it not a big deal, but I would like to get it figured out for my own sanity.

10. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hmm ... not sure what the problem could be. I assume you've tried different ports on your switch to make sure one of them isn't bad? Or do you have another switch you can try?

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Guessing blindly, but if the Actiontec was basically acting as a 2 port switch then you'd be limited by the number of MAC addresses it could track for it's ethernet port side.

I've seen cheap Ethernet switches that acted, poorly, if another switch was connected to them. They'd been built (as cheap as possible) on an (incorrect) assumption about how many devices (MAC addresses) would be connected to each port. Exceed that number and weird things happen.

12. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Since the MoCA adapter will get its own IP address from the Fios router, wouldn't the only limitation on connecting multiple devices be the amount of IP addresses that the primary router can give out?

13. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I forgot to give an update on this. The issue was nothing to do with MOCA. The switch was the problem. I replaced it and everything worked.