1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOCA for mini problem!

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Vicpdx192, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Vicpdx192

Vicpdx192 New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Oregon
    so I never got this solved but I was setting up my Tivo romio and mini so that they work on the MOCA network but the mini could never get the MOCA network.

Her is how I tried it:

MOCA adapter 1-> router

MOCA adapter 2-> Tivo Romio basic DVR

Tivo mini to wall connection

Both tivos were on the same splitter and were being fed cable signal so whats wrong and why wont the tivo mini connect?

2. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    Does your TiVo have a tuning adapter (TA)? If so, see my signature.

3. Vicpdx192

Vicpdx192 New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Oregon
    oh no it does not have a TA just a Moto M card

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Is the Roamio able to successfully connect to the internet through the Router/MoCA adapter? Is the Mini able to connect to the internet but just not to the Roamio?

5. Vicpdx192

Vicpdx192 New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Oregon
    so here is what I currently have done. I have the tivo romeo on the 5ghz wireless and the mini through a moca, both on the same router. On the out side I tried to do a 2 way 1ghz splitter with the moca in and connect both the romeo and mini jacks to the one moca adapter connected to my router and i also had 1 other moca adapter(so 2 in total) for my romio basic since no moca capability's, So far the mini connects fine but the romio did not connect via Ethernet and the downstairs adapter did not show the coax light on only power and Ethernet.

6. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life New Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I'm not an expert as I'm fairly new to Tivo but I have the same device setup as you described ( a roamio base and a mini)......you say that you have the roamio on the 5ghz wireless? that very well could be your problem.....both your roamio and mini need to be connected via MoCA or via ethernet in other words hardwired and NOT Wireless..... here is how mine is set up: I purchased two action tech MoCA adapters from Tivo; I hooked one up to my cable modem/router(gateway) and the other to my Roamio Base......all I had to do with the mini is just hook the Coax into the MoCA port on the back of it...I'm going to assume that your cable modem/router isn't one that already has MoCA built into it such as a Verizon Fios? Here are some diagrams from Tivo's website that can help

[media]https://www.tivo.com/assets/images_assets/CreateMoCA_Adapter.jpg[/media]

[media]https://www.tivo.com/assets/images_assets/JoinMoCA_Roamio.png[/media]

Also on your mini after you have connected your Coax make sure that you go into network settings and do this:

[media]https://www.tivo.com/assets/images_assets/ConnectUsingMoCA.png[/media]

Set yours up like those diagrams and it should work.....let us know if you're able to resolve your issue....

7. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    It's nice to see the student taking on the role of teacher. :up:

So many never "pay it forward", once they have their own matter resolved...

8. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life New Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Thanks bud! I was once in a similar situation a few months ago as the OP and the advice you gave me really helped me out so yep if I'm able to help someone else having issues I'm all for it...BTW my setup is still working rock solid :up:

9. Random User 7

Random User 7 Incognito

Oct 19, 2014
    Why does the MoCa adapter attach before the cable modem instead of after? Doesn't that make it addressable to the Internet and bypass best security practices?

I have Internet only, (not TV and Internet) and I thought I could just attach the MoCa adapter inline to a house wire coax drop and then Ethernet to the router. The TiVo would be on Ethernet and the Mini would be connected coax and use MoCa. Would this not work?

Edit: seems like it would based on this post http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10244671#post10244671

10. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Does your cable modem have a coax out port? Mine doesn't. I suppose you could use a 2-way cable splitter if you want, but using the RF passthrough on the adapter works fine. Also, I think the out port on some adapters has a built-in MoCA filter to prevent any MoCA signals from messing with the cable modem, since some modems apparently don't like them. So if you use a splitter, you should probably use a MoCA filter before the modem.