1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moca/ethernet port question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by alleybj, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1 of 11
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I have Moca set up using a Roamio and I have an elite on the Moca network in another room. Can I use the ethernet port on the elite to provide wired internet in that room? I thought that it was supposed to do that, but so far, I'm not having any luck. Thanks

2. Nov 4, 2013 #2 of 11
    JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    I do not believe that is possible and I've never read anything saying it is. In order for it to do that it would have to function as an Ethernet bridge.

3. Nov 4, 2013 #3 of 11
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Not only can you, but it works just fine, I have that as the setup in my living room, MoCA comes in to the Premiere XL, it acts as a bridge via its ethernet port and feeds the media center switch. Just set it for MoCA +Ethernet.

4. Nov 4, 2013 #4 of 11
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yes this can be done and should be working. What are you connecting to the Elite?

5. Nov 5, 2013 #5 of 11
    dcrowell77

dcrowell77 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    What kind of speed do you get over the bridge? I'm not getting any better than my wireless.

6. Nov 5, 2013 #6 of 11
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I can only get it to work sporadically; to be clear, I'm not using the ethernet port on the Roamio (which is where the Moca network is initiated) but rather on an elite in another room. I'm connecting my computer directly to the port with an ethernet cable. It shows as having a connection to the internet, but web pages take forever to load and frequently don't. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

7. Nov 5, 2013 #7 of 11
    Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Have you tried using a different (new) coax cable between the TiVo?

8. Nov 5, 2013 #8 of 11
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If you're trying to connect to your local network from the Elite, but you're not using the Ethernet port on the Roamio, where is the MoCA sub-network being bridged to your Ethernet LAN (router, etc)? You may be able to transfer video between two MoCA-capable TiVo units on an isolated MoCA hookup, but if you want it to connect to the rest of your LAN, you have to use the bridging feature somewhere to cross-connect Ethernet to MoCA.

9. Nov 5, 2013 #9 of 11
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    Sorry, I misspoke. I am using the ethernet port on my Roamio to access my LAN, but am not having any luck using the ethernet port on my Elite as an additional access port to the LAN. Thanks

10. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I haven't, but the Elite itself accesses the internet (Netflix and Hulu Plus) with no problem, so I thought the coaxial connection should be good.

11. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    It does indeed work. Turns out my computer did not have DHCP enabled for the local network. Thanks