1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA error on setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by markwill, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1 of 32
    markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I am not clear on what I need to set up MoCA. I have a Roamio Plus and when I try to turn on MoCA I receive an error (C33). I am told to visit TiVo.com/help/c33 but receive an internal server error each time I try to access that page.

To recap what I have done...

• The coaxial cable is plugged into the Roamio (obviously :))
    • The Romio is plugged into my ethernet switch/router
    • I run through the MoCA setup and receive the above error every time

What's the secret of turning on MoCA (note: this is just enabling it on the Roamio, not trying to access from my Mini yet)?

Thanks.

Mark

2. Sep 1, 2013 #2 of 32
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Someplace on your network you must have a Ethernet to MoCa connection or bridge (the Roamio can act as a bridge the Mini can't). You may have to purchase a Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter Kit for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500CK01) from TiVo (best place as you can get just one) or from Amazon.com.

3. Sep 1, 2013 #3 of 32
    markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Thanks Les. Your response illustrates where I think I might be confused. My understanding is what you mentioned, namely that my Roamio can act as the bridge. Hence I was assuming I don't need any additional equipment on the Roamio itself just to turn MoCA on.

To reiterate, that's my (initial) objective here - merely to turn MoCA on for the Roamio. Since it acts as the bridge, I should be able to do that without any additional hardware, right? I will worry about configuring / connecting the Mini later but I just want to enable MoCA on the Roamio now, but receive the error.

Thanks.

Mark

4. Sep 1, 2013 #4 of 32
    mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    For a start here is a better link that lists all pff the MoCA error codes as well a troubleshooting tips.

michael

5. Sep 1, 2013 #5 of 32
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    To use the Roamio as a bridge you must connect the RJ45 jack (on the back of the Roamio) directly to your router, if you don't have a RJ45 connection near your Roamio, that would be the problem.

6. Sep 1, 2013 #6 of 32
    markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I assume you mean into the Ethernet port at the back of the Roamio. Yes, that is connected. I currently have an IP / DNS address assigned via the Ethernet port.

Mark

7. Sep 1, 2013 #7 of 32
    Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Have you tried installing and turning on the Mini? It takes at least two Moca devices to form a Moca network.

8. Sep 1, 2013 #8 of 32
    markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Yes, that's how I got to this point. I tried to connect the Mini via MoCA but then realized I hadn't turned it on for the Roamio. That's what I am trying to do now - turn on MoCA support on the Roamio, with the express purpose of wanting to subsequently connect the Mini.

I assume something has to "go first" in setting up a MoCA network and also assume that would be the Roamio, since it provides the bridge.

Mark

9. Sep 1, 2013 #9 of 32
    Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I don't think you need to switch anything on. When you do guided setup on the Mini it should just connect to the Roamio. What happens when you do guided setup on the Mini?

10. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Do you have a tuning adapter?

If you do you need to split the main feed feeding the Tivo.

11. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I actually purchased and set up a wifi bridge before I realized that I don't need that (since the Roamio both have MoCA built-in). So, I initially went through the guided setup and it connected via Ethernet. I now want to use MoCA so that I can return the wifi bridge.

However, I still think there is an issue on the Roamio. MoCA was disabled by default (I think). When I go into the "Turn on MoCA?" screen on the Roamio I have two choices - "Yes, turn on MoCA" and "No (typical)". I would assume the one marked typical would be the default. When I choose the Yes option I receive the C33 error.

To recap, the Roamio is plugged into the coax and Ethernet cables and everything works OK (for example, I have an IP address for the Ethernet port). But when I try to switch to MoCA on the Roamio I get an error.

Thanks.

Mark

12. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    The fact that I don't know what a tuning adapter is makes me thing I don't have one :) My setup is that I have a Comcast "cable modem". From the coax feed on that I have a two way splitter, one way to the Tivo and one to an Xbox. I also have a wifi router.

Thanks.

Mark

13. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    What happens when you try guided setup on the Mini?

14. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I receive an error indicating that the Tivo (Roamio in my case) can't be reached, which makes sense because I get an error when I try to enable it on the Roamio.

Mark

15. Voodoo22

Voodoo22 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    MA
    While going through guided-setup on a Roamio, I got an error enabling Moca.. had to skip past and enabled Ethernet instead. My FIOS router has Moca for the STB, so it should work.

Meantime my MINI is working fine on Ethernet.

Will try enabling moca again later when wife is off the tv..

16. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Is your cable modem between the Roamio and the wall outlet? If so, you may need to split the feed: one leg to the cable modem, one to the Tivo.

17. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh, I see - I hadn't considered that (the Tivo needs to go straight to the outlet). To recap, I have following now (for the coax)...

Wall -> Cable modem -> splitter (which goes to the Tivo and an Xbox)

I think you are proposing that I move the splitter before the cable modem, right? Like this...

Wall -> Splitter (which goes to the Tivo and the cable modem)

and then I'd have to split somewhere else for the Xbox.

Right?

Mark

18. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Yes, that's the recommended way to do it because some cable modems have moca filters.

19. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Awesome. I will give it a shot. Thank you for the suggestion - much appreciated.

20. Voodoo22

Voodoo22 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    MA
    A day after being unable to enable Moca during guided setup, I tried to enable it again today. I didn't get the error and was able to enable it. From that point, my wireless network was hosed and wouldn't come back til Tivo Moca was disabled.

I'm guessing it may have been a network loop, due to both FIOS and Tivo Moca bridges being enabled. If there was a way to enable Moca but not enable bridging on either device, that could be my answer..