1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA Bridge going bad ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Robin_Banks, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    How would I know if my MoCA bridge is wacky and is the Tivo one the best? Thanks in advance

2. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Pretty vague question re: MoCA bridge performance, so I'm jumping to the latter question first.

The 'TiVo Bridge' product currently for sale is simply a rebranded Actiontec ECB6000 standard MoCA 2.0 adapter. It's quite a good MoCA adapter and is ideally suited for providing a MoCa connection to a TiVo BOLT/BOLT+, as the BOLT models match its standard MoCA 2.0 spec. If all you have are Roamios, Premieres and Minis, a MoCA 2.0 adapter could be considered overkill. That said, cost plays a part in the value decision, so, to that end, see this post for a list of some of the currently available MoCA adapters.

3. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Great that helps and the price is right as well..just wondering whats the likelyhood of the bridge going bad after 7 months,,??

4. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    It's electronics, so it's possible.

What makes you think your existing adapter has gone bad? What symptoms are you seeing?

5. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Live TV keeps dropping V85

6. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Could I bother you to get a description on how your TiVo equipment is interconnected, to each other, the TV signal and to your home network?

I'm reviewing some of your past posts and it looks like Powerline adapters may be in use, so I'm curious if they're still in play and if they might not be the root of the network disruptions, rather than your MoCA adapter.

7. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Near as I can tell, the following is your existing setup; please make corrections, as needed. (diagram welcome)

Junction Box
    • coax point-of-entry run from cable provider (strictly for cable Internet service)
    • PoE MoCA filter (installed on input to first splitter/amp connected to cable provider)
    • Splitters? (connections essential; model numbers can be useful, if issues persist)
    • Amp? (model number critical, if you have an amp)
    Roof(Other?)
    • Antenna (coax run thru junction box)
    Some Room (single coax run to junction box)
    • Cable Internet (cable modem w/router, or cable gateway; model #s?)
    • MoCA adapter (model #?)
    • Splitter? (possibly needed to split coax signal b/w modem & MoCA adapter)
    • Powerline adapter (connected to LAN port on router)
    Living Room (single coax run to junction box)
    • Roamio OTA (coax connection to junction box)
    • Powerline adapter (connected to Ethernet port of Roamio)
    Bedroom (single coax run to junction box)
    • Mini (connected via coax/MoCA)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  8. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Bottom line is that a stable wired network connection via MoCA should be easily doable for your Roamio OTA, but I primarily need you to confirm that the antenna signal currently routes through the junction box on its way to the Living Room. Is the antenna coax run coupled using a simple barrel connector in the junction box, or what?

Or, simply, how *does* the antenna line route to the Roamio OTA?

9. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Basically, your problem situation sounds quite similar to that recently facing another poster, and you may benefit from the solution that worked for them (with the caveat that your DVR doesn't support MoCA natively, and so you'll need to buy a MoCA adapter to co-locate with the Roamio OTA to provide its wired network connection).

See this thread: Cannot watch/record OTA when connected to MoCA network

p.s. Though I may be getting ahead of myself, since you haven't yet confirmed how your devices are currently interconnected.

10. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Sorry to be late in getting back here. I suspected bad internet somewhere and was able to pin it on Cox. The tech just left and everything seems to be running smooth and strong. Turns out to be a bent cable at the node across the street, tech replaced and back up to 100mps and no drop on the mini. Running the powerline from the router to the Tivo to the Mini upstairs on the MoCA. I'll check back in a day or 2 and we'll see if it's still good. Looks promising. I appreciate everyone's help

11. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Glad to hear it's working for you. The previous replies will be waiting if/when any troubles return.

12. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    More detail would be needed to evaluate alternatives to the Powerline connection (arguably the weak link in your setup). See earlier post, if/when.

13. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    well it worked for about a day and went right back to doing the same. I had planned on an additional Mini so picked one up set up only to find the same. Since it's a vaulted ceiling I will run a drop for the antenna into guest room and set the tuner there with internet so I can run direct ethernet and use the Mini's in the Master and LR ..Starting to wonder about a top thread referring to 20.6.3.RC7. I set up the laptop and see I have 50mps coming from the powerline. How much speed does the MoCA need? Paying for 150mps

14. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    That's an option.

See also posts 6-9.

15. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Junction Box
    • coax point-of-entry run from cable provider (strictly for cable Internet service) > Correct
    • PoE MoCA filter > Could move from outside entry to indoor junction @ pre-splitter.
    • Splitters: > Internet & Ant connect through Diplexer into 4 way splitter with each travel to desired rooms
    • Amp: > None
    Roof
    • Antenna (coax run thru junction box) > Clearstream Ant. 45 miles W of Phx picks up 65% signal
    Some Room > Den/Office
    • Cable Internet: > Surfboard (new), Netgear AC1900, Up to 150mps (inconsistent Cox)
    • MoCA adapter: > ActionTec Bridge (from Tivo)
    • Splitter: > BAMF 4 way Bi-Dir MoCA 5-2300MHZ
    • Powerline adapter: Netgear Ethernet from Router to LR Tuner
    More to come ...

16. Robin_Banks

Robin_Banks Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Junction Box
    • coax point-of-entry run from cable provider (strictly for cable Internet service) > Correct
    • PoE MoCA filter > Could move from outside entry to indoor junction @ pre-splitter.
    • Splitters: > Internet & Ant connect through Diplexer into 4 way splitter with each travel to desired rooms
    • Amp: > None
    Roof

• Antenna (coax run thru junction box) > Clearstream Ant. 45 miles W of Phx picks up 65% signal
    Some Room > Den/Office

• Cable Internet: > Surfboard (new), Netgear AC1900, Up to 150mps (inconsistent Cox)
      • MoCA adapter: > ActionTec Bridge (from Tivo)
      • Splitter: > BAMF 4 way Bi-Dir MoCA 5-2300MHZ
      • Powerline adapter: Netgear Ethernet to LR Tuner
    Living Room (single coax run to junction box): > Correct
    • Roamio OTA :> Correct
    • Powerline adapter: > Correct
    Bedroom (single coax run to junction box)
    • Mini (connected via coax/MoCA): > Correct now with Mini #2 in Guest Room
    Just got off phone with Cox Level 2 rep will send tech out tomorrow for line inspection.

17. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    This doesn't seem possible, since your Internet and OTA antenna signals are both down in the same frequency range: 5-1002 MHz, and the diplexer's splice frequency (assuming an antenna/satellite diplexer) is just above the OTA frequency limit at 806 MHz.

Signal frequencies:
    OTA: 40-806 MHz
    cable (TV/Internet): 5-1002 MHz
    Diplexer passpand frequencies:
    ANT port: 40-806 MHz
    SAT port: 950-2150 MHz

As you can see from the specified frequency ranges for OTA, cable TV and an example diplexer, if you *are* using a diplexer as described, I expect either your antenna or Internet signals are taking a severe hit. I'd recommend double-checking the connections (uploading a pic of the junction box would be helpful); and can you report the diplexer's model #.

That said, the parallel thread linked above includes a configuration showing how a diplexer could be used to send *just* your MoCA and OTA antenna signals to the Living Room, allowing you to use a MoCA adapter in the Living Room to provide a wired networking connection to the Roamio OTA. The difference maker is that the MoCA technology employed in TiVos uses frequencies up in the satellite range (MoCA "D band") ...

Signal frequencies:
    OTA: 40-806 MHz
    cable (TV/Internet): 5-1002 MHz
    MoCA (D band): 1125-1675 MHz
    Diplexer passpand frequencies:
    ANT (VHF/UHF) port: 40-806 MHz
    SAT port: 950-2150 MHz

... allowing use of a diplexer for merging or splitting OTA & MoCA signals.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  18. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    One key consideration that needs to be ironed-out: to how many rooms do you need the raw OTA signal delivered? Just the room with the Roamio OTA?

19. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    Assuming you need the OTA signal delivered ONLY to the Roamio OTA, here's the diagram from the other thread, demonstrating how to employ a diplexer to get the OTA & MoCA signals to your Living Room (Line #2 in the diagram).

The difference between this diagram and what you described is that the diplexer is filtering OUT most of the cable TV/Internet signals from the line heading to the DVR (preventing any OTA/cable conflicts) but *is* passing through the MoCA signals -- with your cable modem & MoCA adapter connected via Lines 1 or 3, receiving the cable Internet signal unmolested by any diplexer.

upload_2016-12-30_11-44-32.png

20. krkaufman

Nov 25, 2003
    And here's basically the same configuration, except the cable Internet signal has been branched-off with an initial 2-way splitter, to ensure the best possible signal is delivered to the cable modem (now assumed to be fed via Line #1 in the diagram).

NOTE: The "N-way splitter" in the diagram should have as few outputs as needed, to avoid unnecessary signal loss, and any unused output ports should be capped with a 75-ohm terminator (e.g.). In the special case of needing only 3 lines total, you could use an unbalanced 3-way splitter (e.g.) in place of the 2-way and N-way splitters, feeding the modem from the low-loss output of the 3-way.

upload_2016-12-30_12-15-44.png