1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoCA Bridge... but not that kind

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mneimeyer, Sep 1, 2013.

1. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
    I want to know if its possible to use my XL4 as a MoCA bridge but not the kinds of bridges I can find... and what I can find confuses me. :)

I think I could do...

Network -> Ethernet -> XL4 -> MoCA -> Other MoCA Devices

Where my XL4 would bridge from ethernet to MoCA for other MoCA devices.

I think I could also do...

FiOS MoCA Router -> MoCA -> XL4

Where the XL4 does not use ethernet and just uses the MoCA provided by my FiOS ActionTec router.

But what I want to do, and can't seem to find, is...

FiOS MoCA Router -> MoCA -> XL4 -> Ethernet -> Stuff

Where the XL4 shares the connection that it gets from upstream MoCA. This way I could replace the powerline network adaptor that I currently use to get a network connection to my XBox and Blu-Ray player in the same cabinet that the XL4 will live in. (The powerline works fine... but... if I can eliminate stuff)

If it matters, I'm going to replace the FiOS DVR (which is connected via MoCA) but keep the FiOS STB (also connected via MoCA) in the spare bedroom (It is free and in case of a sudden need for VOD). Additionally, we have computers "hanging off" the Ethernet ports on the ActionTec router.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The bridge is two way. So it can convert Ethernet to MoCa just like it can convert MoCa to Ethernet. I actually use mine exactly as you describe. I have all my devices in my entertainment center connected to an Ethernet switch including the TiVo, then they all connect via the TiVo's MoCa connection to a MoCa adapter I have connected to my router. (my router doesn't have MoCa built in, but the principal is the same)

3. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
  4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It shouldn't come up much, but be aware that if you reboot your Premiere (or it reboots for a software update) the MoCA bridge will drop offline for about a minute during the reboot.

That'll knock any ethernet devices, that it's bridging for, off the internet temporarily.

5. macevedo

macevedo New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    That is exactly what I am trying to setup, but it is not working. I setup a Roamio which provides the bridge. I can use the Tivo Mini by just pluggin it in to the coax. I want to be able to bring back ethernet on the side I have the Tivo Mini. I connected the actiontec to the coax cable on the coax in port and connected the ethernet to a switch. It does not find any moca networks. How were you able to get this to work?

6. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Look at the section "How to set up XL4 as a bridge" in his TiVo Support Doc http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2025