1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB.tv app causing reboots 100% of time

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Riverdome, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1 of 120
    Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Tried ysing mlb.tv app during spring training and every time I started a stream my Tivo locked up and after 3-4 minutes rebooted. I chaulked it up to something to do with the new season. Tonight I tried again and it's doing the same thing. I'm 3/3 tonight with trying to start a stream leading to a complete system reboot. MLB.tv works perfect on my Android device via home wifi and on my laptop using the same connection.

Tivo network is TWC plugged into wireless router via Ethernet. Roamio is connected to mini via coax.

Anyone had similar issues? Thoughts on possible resolution?

Many thanks.

2. Apr 2, 2014 #2 of 120
    synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    I watched free game of the day 2 days now both were fine. Picture was then exact same you would get on the ps3

3. Apr 2, 2014 #3 of 120
    Scooterj

Scooterj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Today is the first day I used MLB TV and it is working like crap. Reboots, buffering, and freezing. My signal strength is at 95% so that is not the issue. I have MLB TV on Roku and it is great no buffering takes maybe 3 seconds to go game to game. I have had the Roamio since December and it seems like more and more issues are popping up. Not very happy with it at all.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #4 of 120
    jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    After no problems so far this season, MLB.TV has frozen twice on me (freezes, I go back to TiVo, go back to MLB.TV, selected game now shows spinny thing, then goes black, TiVo reboots--twice!) without me ever seeing any baseball!

P.S. And this is on Premiere XL--no one was talking about it over in the Premiere forum yet.

UPDATE: On my Panasonic TV MLB.TV is constantly buffering and then just timing out (which I've never seen before), so it looks like it's not a TiVo problem, but at least my TV didn't reboot because of it. ;-)

5. Apr 3, 2014 #5 of 120
    Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    As my Tivo was rebooting I pulled up the Red Sox game on my phone so it didn't appear to be a mlb.tv server problem, unless Tivo and mobile streams come from unique data sources.

Late last night I tried the app on my mini and the game played. Once an AB it would rewind 2-3 seconds automatically, not sure if that was buffering?? After a few innings the game went to commercial and never came back. I didn't troubleshoot and just called it a night.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

6. Apr 3, 2014 #6 of 120
    jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    After I posted I went to my iPad and the game I was having trouble with on TiVo and my TV was flipping back-and-forth between live (8th or 9th innning) and the 5th inning! Incredible.

7. Apr 3, 2014 #7 of 120
    KingPenguin

KingPenguin New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    MLB.tv changed their backend somewhat at the end of spring training. Appearantly they switched from using Nexdef on PC clients to some other technology. I wonder if it requires client changes on Tivo etc. that haven't been rolled out.

This is why I didn't renew my MLB.tv subscription this year. Lots of problems last year and I am waiting for the new implementation to get this all worked out. I really want to watch baseball, but not going to spend all that money for something that doesn't stream right to the Tivo/Mini.

If anyone does have it working well on Tivo, please post here.

8. Apr 4, 2014 #8 of 120
    Scooterj

Scooterj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    The MLB TV app worked better for me last night but still had some issues with skipping back a few seconds you would see the pitch you just saw 5 seconds ago. I hope it works better soon it is disappointing. MLB TV on my ROKU way faster switching between games and very smooth interface no skipping or freezing at all and it has radio broadcast option which you can play over the video feed.

9. Apr 4, 2014 #9 of 120
    synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Now the last 2 days not working and has caused my mini no get stuck needing me to unplug and reboot it.
    I am close to paying for the sub but not like this.

10. Apr 5, 2014 #10 of 120
    jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    MLB.TV was fine on the TiVo for me last night, but fwiw I also wasn't watching any live games, just one from the afternoon. And this morning I saw a new TiVo software update was being installed (on Premiere XL), so we'll see how it is after that....

11. Apr 5, 2014 #11 of 120
    Scooterj

Scooterj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I just put on MLB TV today to watch the Mets/Reds game and again the thing froze entire system rebooted. This MLB TV app on Tivo is by far the worst. I have it on Roku and use to have it on PS3 and never had these problems. Lets go Tivo get you heads out your butts and fix it !!!!!!!!!1

12. Apr 5, 2014 #12 of 120
    synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Working fine for me today after signing up on the monthly deal.

13. Apr 5, 2014 #13 of 120
    humbb

humbb Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Over the last few days, there have been a lot of quality issues across all MLB.TV platforms (including Roku and PS3) such as freezing, repeating, and network disconnects. This Deadspin article is the first I've seen outlining some of the issues this year:
    http://deadspin.com/whats-up-with-mlb-tv-and-how-can-it-be-fixed-1557683857

14. Apr 5, 2014 #14 of 120
    synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Well that was earlier just had to reboot twice. Its not working.

15. Apr 5, 2014 #15 of 120
    shemmy

shemmy New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I'm having this problem now on my Roamio. The couple of times I've tried to access mlb.tv through the Tivo, it has frozen, crashed, and then rebooted itself. Once it happened after I was watching a stream for a few minutes, and just now it happened before it even loaded a picture, I just had a frozen circular "loading" image, and then a reboot.

16. Apr 5, 2014 #16 of 120
    Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Another bad mlb.tv day. Tried to watch game, Tivo locked up and eventually rebooted. Tried watching same game after reboot and it played . . . . for awhile. About 20 minutes later it locked up again but I was able to slowly get back to the Tivo main menu - and I gave up on baseball on Tivo. Back to my Galaxy Note 2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

17. Apr 5, 2014 #17 of 120
    rickyTV

rickyTV New Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I signed up for the monthly plan cause I wasn't sure this works ... this works. ...... and now the thing keeps going back .... going back and repeating and then .... freeze... jump ahead. Just like I typed it!

The problem is it keeps trying to go HD when clearly it can't keep up because of ISP slowdowns. The app needs to buffer more or let me manually choose a lower resolution. But having it be so jumpy is so annoying I want to scream.

But hey, on my PC it's even worse. If you try to watch from the beginning it'll freeze and then goto live even if you have set no spoilers. So after I gave up on the pc version, I tried the tivo and it's really bad unless I'm watching after 1 am.

I was tempted to buy the whole season and save a few bucks, but at least now I can cancel after 1 month.

18. Apr 6, 2014 #18 of 120
    jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    FWIW, I watched a game last night with no TiVo (Premiere XL) issues--no rebooting or locking up. That's after I got the latest TiVo software update, if that has anything at all to do with it.

19. Apr 6, 2014 #19 of 120
    humbb

humbb Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I don't think the update has anything to do with it. It seems to be more a lack of streaming capacity at MLB. There was a fairly light schedule of live games last night. I noticed that the troubles began on Wednesday, which was the first full schedule of night games. I too didn't have any problem last night (even switching around from game to game). But it seems to be pervasive amongst all platforms (I also stream on a PS3 - my preference) since Wednesday during peak live game inventory times - see my link above indicating there is a general problem with Adobe streaming this year.

It's also possible that MLB has resolved the Adobe issue (oh please).

There are 12 games today starting between 1 and 2:20pm ET. I would be interested in your experience and others on the Tivo during this period.

20. Apr 7, 2014 #20 of 120
    Scooterj

Scooterj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I tried again today same issues with Mlb Tv. glad I only signed up monthly because if it does not improve i will cancel. It seems like Mlb Tv is terrible on all devices this year. It was such a great product last year and now they have completely gave the fans the middle finger. We can all thank Uncle Bud. I guess when they sent there best MLB Tv guys to work for MLB instant replay they just ignored MLB tv all together.