1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing my TiVo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Well I'm being "weened" from cable and my XL and 4XL machines. I'm away from home with only local OTA which isn't all that bad but when I look at an Internet Guide I keep reaching for the remote to set up the next few days of viewing. Well there isn't a TiVo!

No TV "my way" for probably six weeks! I don't believe I'd carry the XL here since the season is still a few weeks away but I have to admit I thought about packing it when I was home last weekend.

"TiVo - don't leave home without it! Soon that could very well be my "motto"!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I married my Tivo with no divorce in sight!

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Any DVR is superior to the old linear TV watching. I was at a hotel and I immediately missed by DVR's. Even Worse, the hotel didn't have any of my favorite channels like Science, HDNET, HDNET Movies, NatGeo, NatGeo Wild, and no access to my recordings at home (I don't have a need for Sling, so I never invested). I ended up not watching the TV in my room, it was that unsatisfying.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ...and you don't need a DVR for that. While I'm a huge Tivo fan, to me it was more evolutionary than revolutionary, since I was using a VCR (and for most of the time, two VCRs) for more than a decade to "Watch what I want, when I want" and skip commercials.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's still a linear recording. Which is a pain compared to a DVR. I used to do the same thing in the 80's and 90's. I had multiple VCRs to be able to record up to six shows concurrently and to skip the commercials. I would even sometimes record 20 or 30 minutes of an hour show and start watching it while it recorded the rest on another machine. I certainly don't miss those days back in the 20th century.

At least a lower end Premiere with lifetime service is cheaper than what some of the VCRs cost me back in the 80's and early 90's.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    That's certainly a fact. I spent very serious money for a couple. Presently I guess the largest anchor I own is a Toshiba 42" rear projection. It requires a component connection and it's actually hard to "give away"!

7. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Why not buy an iPad, there an app for that. :D

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Maybe there's a bar or a church youth group who could use a biggish screen donated.