1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minis On Extended WiFi Network...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Tivogre, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Hi all.

I wanted to report in on the results of a little experiment I tried that worked out well for me, and may help some others that are having issue running network cables, or getting MOCA working.

I set up an Apple Airport Express in the "Extend A Wireless Network" mode at a location where I wanted a Mini, but couldn't easily get cabling (actually for me, it's a detached garage / workshop on my property).

Once the wireless connection was established back to the main network, I plugged the Mini in to the Airport with a network cable.

I am happy to report that it works PERFECTLY. The Mini has no idea it isn't wired right in to the main router.

While $94 for the Airport isn't CHEAP, it is certainly comparable to other types of network extenders; in my specific situation, there was no way to run cable out there without trenching.

Hopefully, my results will help out some others.

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Much cheaper, I use a NETGEAR WNCE4004 N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter/Bridge, works just fine. Bought on sale for $29.99

The router is really the key to getting any Wireless to Ethernet Bridge to perform reliably. In my case it is an ASUS RT-N66U.

3. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I used the exact setup, with an Airport Express, prior to setting my Mini up on MoCA. The results were great.
    Currently, my host TiVo Roamio is connected to my home network using an Airport Express. The Mini is connected via MoCA. All works perfectly.