1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini + Roamio w/ethernet; Mini loses connection on recording show

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mr_smits, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    A week or two ago I bought a Roamio and Mini. I have them both wired with Ethernet. I'm experiencing this problem:

I'm on the Mini watching a show being recorded by the Roamio. Before the end of the show, the Mini loses connection. I get the alert, I press reconnect or whatever the option is, navigate back to the show, and restart and finish without any other problems.

This only seems to be happening on shows that are still being recorded. Is this a known problem?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yep, I've seen this ... you're referring to the V87 error that appears near the last five minutes of a recording when you are streaming an in-process recording that completed while you were streaming, right?

3. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

I don't recall the error message, but the circumstance is correct.

Any word on this being fixed? It's happened to me two days in a row, and it is already annoying.

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hopefully someone at TiVo knows about it but it wasn't fixed in the latest Fall Update.

5. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    It's already getting the frown of disapproval as well as negative comments from spousal unit. Definitely feels like a step backward compared to our old Premiere to Premiere streaming...

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    At least it only happens with in-progress recordings that are streamed. Most of my MRS is completed recordings so I don't see it often, but I agree it's annoying when it does happen.

7. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Agreed. Depending on how up to date we are with recordings, this may not appear very often, but it is a problem.

8. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    I got a Mini yesterday, this happened twice today. Everything is on the same segment of the same hardwired gigabit LAN. There definitely are never really any lost connections. I'm certain both times the ridiculous lost connection message happened at exactly the time the recording of the program stopped.

I was watching a morning news show that TiVo has always treated as having three sequential episodes each morning, 4:30 to 5:00, 5:00 to 6:00, and 6:00 to 7:00.

At exactly 6:02 AM I was watching content from about 5:50AM when the Mini reported lost connection, then at exactly 7:02 I was again about ten minutes behind real time when once again the Mini reported a lost connection.

No doubt the mini lost a connection to a socket that was feeding it a stream across my LAN, but I doubt that my punchdown connections are failing at the same instant TiVo closes a file.

Both my Roamio basic and Mini have yesterdays 20.3.7, my Roamio is OTA, which implies OTA only.

9. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    This is quite the annoying aspect of the Mini experience. I'm actually avoiding watching shows that are in progress recording because I don't want to deal with the loss of connection issue.

I am on the fence about another Mini. Hopefully this will be fixed asap.

10. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I haven't had this happen to me in quite awhile, but sure enough it happened last night while watching the late news. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often because I usually start watching the 10:00 news at 10:15 or so while it is still recording.

11. leeford

leeford New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    this is happening when watching fully pre recorded shows on roamio too...not just ones currently recording! yikes! netflix and hulu are fine...issue with steaming from roamio to mini via and ethernet?

12. tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I experienced a lost ethernet connection last night while watching a show that finished recording while I was watching it. The connection failed at the end with about five minutes of show left to watch. I was streaming from a Roamio Basic to a 2 tuner Premiere.

13. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    After encountering this on a Mini I saw in another thread that Best Buy was honoring Amazon's $149 price on the basic Roamio, with $50 gift card, so I bought another Roamio and shuffled the Mini off to the guest room.

14. chapotito

chapotito New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I wanted to have the Mini wired to an Wireless extender. Does anyone know if this works. The Roamio is wired to the router downstairs. I did not want to run wires through the house. I know the mini is not supposed to be wireless, but I thought that by having a wireless extender that has 3 ports, the Mini would be fooled into thinking that it was wired. Is there a way around this, or do I have to wire the whole house?:(

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I'll add that I no longer have the problem the OP was experiencing. I used to get it fairly often, as well. However, I think the last update may have cleared it up because I have played a ton of recording in process content and I haven't had any problems for at least the last month.