1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Networking issues.

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by MScottC, Aug 28, 2013.

1. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm having disconnect issues with my newly acquired Mini and brand new Roamio Plus.

The Mini works fine for a while, but then starts stuttering and at times throws up the network disconnect issue.

I have a cat 5 cable running between two GigE switches. On the office switch is an ASUS router/wifi, cable modem, various office equipment and the Mini. The Livingroom has the aforementioned GigE switch which has the Roamio, a wifi access point, sling box, Roku 3 and Roku Soundbridge. The cable between the two switches runs through walls, and has my own homemade ends, which I can't totally vouch for, but haven't given me problems till now. Last night I measured throughput between two computers with GigE NICs. First I did it with the desktop and laptop in the office off the same switch, got a benchmark of about 800 Mbps. Then I took the laptop out to the livingroom and ran the same test and got about 400Mbps. Given that this is way higher than the bandwidth needed for moving HDTV, I'm not sure where I stand. As a further test, I replaced the cable embedded in my walls with a known good cat 5 cable running between the two switches. I'm still having the same issues.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe there is some issue with the Mini. Does it feel hot like it might be overheating? Mine is connected to an old 200AV HomePlug network and I never have this problem.

3. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Relatively cool. On the other hand it could be the Roamio as well.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have any other TiVos to test with? If you had another Roamio or a Premiere then you figure out which was causing the problem. If not you may have to send one back, hope that fixes it, and if not send the other back. Or just send both back right away.

5. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Unfortunately I have duplicates of neither. I'm going to call support and hope they'll send me a new box first... just not sure which to ask for as a replacement in the first go round. Some more advanced diagnostics or logging would be helpful. It would be cool if there was some log of which box is losing connections to what and when it's losing it, just to give some hint of where the problem lies. I trouble shoot this kind of stuff every day administering a 25 seat Avid ISIS Unity Video Server. But that gives you logs and a whole suite of tools that help pinpoint issues. This nothing more than "disconnected" and an error code which can not be found on the internet.

6. warner

warner New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Concord, CA
    I'm having disconnection issues with my Roamio Plus and Mini also. The Mini seems to lose connection to the Roamio about 2 to 3 times an hour but I usually get the connection back within a minute or two. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm watching Live TV or recorded. Everything is hooked up via wired gigabit connection. Never had these issues with my two networked Premier XL's. I seem to have better luck if the Roamio's ethernet is connected directly to the wall outlet rather than to a switch. But I haven't tested this enough yet.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Ask for a replacement Mini first. Since it doesn't have any recordings or Season Passes it's the easier one to replace.

8. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Well, I think I found the answer to my issue... the two pieces of gear I'd least suspect. As I said in earlier posts, a GigE switch resides on either end of a cat5 cable connecting my office/den/spare bedroom and my living room. The primary router, TiVo Mini and all my other gear hang off the office switch. A router in WAP mode, Roamio Plus and other A/V gear hang off the living room switch.

This morning I took the mini out to the living room, connected it to the switch there and lo and behold, still had issues. That ruled out the run between the two rooms. Exasperated, I almost walked away, but then in a last ditch effort, plugged both TiVo devices into the router in the living room and got no disconnects for a half hour. Wow, I'm on to something.

So, even though I had only fifteen minutes before needing to make my bus to work, I pulled the mini back into the office, totally reconfigured the wiring in my office to connect the mini, the switch and the living room line all to the Asus router, and in the living room, I connected the Roamio, the switch and the other end of the long run to the WAP/router. All my other gear hangs off the respective room switches. Since then, everything seems to be running perfectly.

I had no idea switches which appeared to have been working perfectly, and have nothing to configure, would cause me such aggravation.

For the record, these are TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Standard Switches, model number TEG-S80G.

9. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Green switches often turn off ports when they aren't being used. So if your Mini isn't actively receiving data from your TiVo, then your switch is probably disabling the port and dropping connectivity.

10. warner

warner New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Concord, CA
    My Roamio was also connected to the Trendnet TEG-S80G switch. I tried another 8 port switch (Dlink DGS-10008G) but still had disconnect issues. My Mini is upstairs and is connected to a different switch (Netgear). So far, in my short testing, the only switch that hasn't given me a problem yet is a 5 port Trendnet TEG-S50G

11. Alanbrad

Alanbrad New Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I have tried an external wireless card (not sure if that is the technical name of it or what) and it doesn't pick up anything either.

Robot Vacuum

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've noticed this issue recently with my Roamio Plus and also sometimes with my Minis. I use all Dlink Switches. ALthough I didn't realize it was because of the green switches. I had changed my DHCP lease time to only 2 minutes yesterday and I didn't have the problem after that. So I'm moving the DHCP lease time up to see at what point I have issues again. But if the green switches are the problem, I might need to dust off some of my old Netgear, non green switches that I used to have many years ago. All my my old Dlink Switches in storage are also green switches so I guess there is no reason to try those older models.

13. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I don't think this is the case, as I'd get disconnects while watching the Mini via the green switches.

It's also not a DHCP issue as the first thing I did when setting up both the Roamio Plus and the Mini was to assign static IPs

FYI, my primary router is an Asus RT-N56U, and the secondary router in WAP mode only is a Trendnet TEW432 BRP, 802.11g wireless router, about 5 years old.

14. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    So far I haven't had any problems with static IP's. Maybe it's a TiVo bug.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm using an RT-N56U also as my primary router.

I had seen the same issue on my Minis with a static IP also. I switched them off static IPs earlier this week when I switched the from MoCA back to Ethernet.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I found a Dlink Switch, a DGL series(version A2) that did not have the green label on it. Since I switched to the older DLink, I have not seen the connection drop out on the Roamio Pro. But I was also using the Pro alot too yesterday. I'll need to use it some more later this week to see if the issue actually doesn't crop up again.

17. warner

warner New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Concord, CA
    Since I'm switched to a Trendnet 5 port "greennet" switch, I've only had 1 disconnect in the last 3 days. I'm back to using auto ip. When I had issues with my original trendnet greennet switch, I tried static ip but it didn't help.

18. PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Are the intermittent problems with the 8-port GREENnet switches occurring when the Mini is connected to them, or when the host Roamio/Premiere is?

I will have my Roamio connected to an 8-port and my Mini connected to a 5-port (still waiting on the Roamio to get here).

19. warner

warner New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Concord, CA
    I've only used the 8 port switches on the Roamio. The mini has always been connected to a 5 port non-green Netgear switch.

20. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    This would be a deal breaker for me. I will stick with a dedicated box if this is an issue. It seems like the cause is not know at this point. Am I correct?