1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MINI - Lost signal error message

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Finalrinse, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1 of 32
    Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    I have my Premier 4 network wired Ethernet with MoCa+Ethernet enabled, and dedicating one tuner to MINI. I have Comcast with Blast internet speeds, over 85Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. For the record I have excellent throughput streaming HD video through out my house, cable TV signal is excellent and Internet speeds are excellent. I can't remember the last time I've had an outage on any of them. I have a Netgear R6300 router, and a 3700 as backup. I've replaced my Cat5e cables trying to diagnose the issue. I have installed the POE filter at house entry point.
    I have my Mini installed in the bedroom with Coax using MoCa. Everything seems to work fine, especially watching recorded shows. At random times when watching live TV all of a sudden an error message pops up saying I have lost the signal to my premiere 4 and check the connections and Ethernet, etc... I can't remember the exact wording right now. I can't figure it out but starting to get frustrated. Should I try Ethernet only? It would take some work but it's possible. Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Apr 2, 2013 #2 of 32
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've had that happen occasionally on my Minis. But I have only seen it happen near the very end of a recording. When there are only a few minutes left. Never any other time. Then I go back to My Shows and hit play again and it starts playing where it left off. I need to start keeping track of when it happens. I think it happens on shows that I started watching while they were still in the process of recording, but I'm not sure. I'll need to keep a log of it over the next few weeks so I can track every time it happens.

For instance it happened last night at the very end of Revolution. I had started watching Revolution around 10:30, while it was still recording. But later I watched The Following, which had already finished recording, and did not see the issue.

3. Apr 2, 2013 #3 of 32
    geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    I've also experienced this. Finalrinse, I think it's a bug with the Mini and not your setup.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #4 of 32
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Is it the "V87" error screen? I get that occasionally as well and have to re-start the stream when it happens. Annoying but at least it doesn't happen all the time.

5. Apr 2, 2013 #5 of 32
    waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    fwiw, I've noticed this happens when streaming on my Premiere's. When streaming a show that's actively recording, I get the error message at the very end of the show (that's now already finished recording). There's a complaint about losing the communication to the other Premiere; I just re-stream the show and skip to the end to watch the last minute (seconds) of what I missed. This does seem to happen only with shows that are being recorded; haven't noticed issues with shows that have already finished recording before I start to stream.

6. Apr 2, 2013 #6 of 32
    waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    fwiw, I've noticed this happens when streaming on my Premiere's. When streaming a show that's actively recording, I get the error message at the very end of the show (that's now already finished recording). There's a complaint about losing the communication to the other Premiere; I just re-stream the show and skip to the end to watch the last minute (seconds) of what I missed. This does seem to happen only with shows that are being recorded; haven't noticed issues with shows that have already finished recording before I start to stream. Maybe a general streaming quirk and not specifically Mini related?

7. Apr 2, 2013 #7 of 32
    magicspell

magicspell Member

Jan 10, 2013
    I had this happen for the first time last night (I've had my mini set up and running for a few weeks). My mini is in the bedroom with my XL4 in the living room. I turned on the bedroom TV last night and hit the TiVo button on the remote. I got the usual menu. I selected a show to watch (recorded not live TV) and selected play. Then I got the message that the mini had lost communication to the host Premiere and to check my network. I simply tried again and it played fine.

I chalked it up to a network glitch but maybe it's something in the communication between mini and host??

Bruce

8. Apr 2, 2013 #8 of 32
    tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I had this happen a couple days ago. I thought one of the homeplug boxes I use for ethernet over powerline had come out of the wall, which it hadn't. As others have noted, it was at the end of a show, could be just coincidence. Might be some sort of call back? I use MoCa for the connection to a premier XL4.

9. Apr 2, 2013 #9 of 32
    Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Geekmedic, I also think it is a bug within the MINI. I'm calling TiVo support to get it on record that I have the problem. May I suggest anyone else that has the issue let them know so they can work on a firmware fix.

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah, we're seeing this too towards the end of shows. I think we mostly record 1hr shows and ffwd through commercials, so that's the scenario. Also, both my Elite/XL4 and Mini are connected via MoCA and we've also noticed when I'm gaming online via the PS3 the Mini's video goes in and out of like slow motion or stuttering. It's odd. Between the lag and these bugs, we're kinda 'meh' about the whole thing thus far. Hopefully they bugs get cleaned up and they turn Netflix on.

11. 2trill4925

2trill4925 New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm also having the same results with live-TV and archived recordings. I noticed that any external traffic gives my Mini fits. Of course I'm running an unsupported network configuration with a series of bridges. So far it happens when my kids watch youtube on the kindle fire, uploading files with drop box, and using the neflix app on the host dvr.

12. Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm almost afraid to say anything but for the last couple of weeks mine has not acted up, no errors and working perfectly. I don't understand, I didn't change anything?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been keeping track of this with mine, and it happens everytime I watch a recording that is still in progress when I start watching. And the issues always occurs near the end of the recording. If the recording was already completed when I start watching, I don't see the issue.

14. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I saw this for the first time last night with my bedroom Mini. I usually watch the 10:00 news on a slightly time-shifted basis - probably started it about 10:15 last night. Got the lost connection error message maybe 25 minutes into the 35 minute news program. Returned to the Tivo menu and resumed playing, which worked fine.

15. uribees

uribees New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I have been having this problem since day 1. My mini looses connection about every 5-10 minutes with the V94 error. I'm using the MoCa for the connection currently. I even ran an ethernet cable directly to my router and still no luck. I'm using a Verizon Fios router. Now I'm thinking it may be an issue with my router. I plan on doing more troubleshooting tonight. Anybody else have it this bad? Has anybody contacted Tivo?

16. Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    This is exactly what I do, start watching the 10 oclock news about 10 or 15 minutes into it while it's recording.

17. aznrocka

aznrocka New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Uribees,
    did you find a solution to your problem? I just had fios installed from comcast this past friday and am having similar problem as you. both watching live tv and recorded shows on my mini will cut out about every 5-10 minutes and i have to hit either watch live tv or resume the recorded show. I have a feeling its the fios router but don't know. My set up is similar to your. premiere 4 with mini connected via moca.

18. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm having similar disconnect issues with my newly acquired Mini and brand new Roamio Plus.

The Mini works fine for a while, but then starts stuttering and at times throws up the network disconnect issue.

I have a cat 5 cable running between two GigE switches. On the office switch is an ASUS router/wifi, cable modem, various office equipment and the Mini. The Livingroom has the aforementioned GigE switch which has the Roamio, a wifi access point, sling box, Roku 3 and Roku Soundbridge. The cable between the two switches runs through walls, and has my own homemade ends, which I can't totally vouch for, but haven't given me problems till now. Last night I measured throughput between two computers with GigE NICs. First I did it with the desktop and laptop in the office off the same switch, got a benchmark of about 800 Mbps. Then I took the laptop out to the livingroom and ran the same test and got about 400Mbps. Given that this is way higher than the bandwidth needed for moving HDTV, I'm not sure where I stand.

19. Mgnyc11

Mgnyc11 New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Im also having this issue. I thought that at first it was due to the fact i only had a 100Mb switch in the bedroom, but I have FIOS so I wnet with MOCA and having the same issues as well. I have the MOCA set to AUto for channel, Ill play with that later as well.

20. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Did they just sdo a mini software upgrade? If not, how does this problem start to occur all by itself?

Between this problem and the Roamio cablecard V58/black screen errors, me thinks Tivo has some serious Software errors they really need to address!!!