1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini > Live TV (buffering time) and Sleep??

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dmband, Oct 20, 2013.

1. dmband

dmband New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I read there is buffering and thus a delay in watching live tv.
    1 - Can anyone tell me how long it takes from the time you change the channel until the live program plays?
    I assume the time is basically the same when changing the channel again and such.

2 - I also am wondering what happens when the mini goes into "sleep" mode?
    My wife sleeps with the tv on, is this going to drive her nuts?

Tia everyone
  2. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    3-5 seconds for every channel change. The channel is getting changed at the main TiVo, then it's sending the signal to the Mini, so it does not happen as quickly as "flipping channels" does on the main TiVo. I would refer to this as "channel tuning delay" not "buffering", because referring to it as buffering is not really accurate. There is also latency (time delay) when watching any program on a TiVo, in the sense that what you are seeing on a TiVo playing live TV is a second or three behind what you would see if you were tuning the channel with something other than a DVR.

with the latest update the auto-timeout is 4 hours. At four hours a message will come up on the Mini asking "are you there" and if you don't provide a remote control response it will time out (to release the tuner on the Main TiVo for recording) and go to the TiVo home screen.