1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini is always Capturing Tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by MPSAN, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1 of 107
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    This has been an issue for the last week or so. I have a mini in our bedroom connected to a Premiere elsewhere. No problems, except, even if I leave it on the TIVO screen, it will go to live TV sometime in the night. The only issue is, of course, that it captures a tuner. When we turn on the TV at night in the Bedroom, we can see live TV...which it should not be doing. It is as if the Mini is rebooting every night.

As I said, it all works, but our Mini NEVER did this before about a week ago. Could it be new software? If so, are there any fixes pending and does Tivo know or care about this?

2. Dec 6, 2016 #2 of 107
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It sounds like a new bug. If the Mini restarts, it will not display Live TV. It will go to TiVo Central. I would suggest, in the morning, check the TiVo box Diagnostics. All tuners have a time since last Tune. If all the tuners have the same time (in seconds), the host Premiere has done a restart.

Last week new software was given to the Mini and Premiere boxes. Do they care? That's above my pay grade. ;)

3. Dec 6, 2016 #3 of 107
    fawn428

fawn428 New Member

Aug 13, 2011
    I am having the exact same issue... mini's never time out even after 4 hours and capture the tuner. I press the tivo button to get them to immediately release but this is new within the last week.

4. Dec 6, 2016 #4 of 107
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are they v1 or v2 Mini boxes?

5. Dec 6, 2016 #5 of 107
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I have this...
    MINI 8E46
    A92-
    TiVo Mini

I bought it Sept 10, 2014 so I assume it is V1.

6. Dec 6, 2016 #6 of 107
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I will check, but believe the Premiere did not reboot. I say that as the 4 tuners are on different stations...I mean the 3 as 1 is captured by the Mini. I notice that when a Premiere does reboot, all 4 tuners are on the same station.

7. Dec 7, 2016 #7 of 107
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think there is a problem. I left a Mini in TiVo Central instead of Standby last night. This morning I see it is active, meaning it owns a tuner on a Roamio. I checked the time since tune start and it is only 52 minutes. I have been awake and watching another Roamio for 90 minutes. I did not see or hear an EAS test. I will watch it today and see if something is waking up the Mini boxes. I have four and it was my v1 that became active. I'll wake up a v2 and see if it matters. There are some people that will like this bug.

Check TiVo box Diagnostics. Each tuner has a timer that counts the seconds that channel has been tuned. Further down is a cable card section that shows a timer that indicates how long since a restart.

Standby also resets the channel timers.

8. Dec 7, 2016 #8 of 107
    Markus57

Markus57 New Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Just confirming that after the update, a mini will not release a tuner. I use a sleep timer on bedroom TV and mini had always released the tuner by morning. Since the update, the tuner stays assigned to the mini. This is more likely the Roamio update which is not releasing tuner after 4 hours, right?

9. Dec 7, 2016 #9 of 107
    krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Somebody else was reporting something similar earlier this week and we(I) wrote it off as possible EAS tests. Time to go find that thread and bring him here... (found it)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  10. Dec 7, 2016 #10 of 107
    krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    What happens if you tune a Mini to Live TV and just leave it? THAT's what (some) people were looking for, the ability to have Live TV stay on without any interaction. If the tuner is just staying allocated to a Mini but the Live TV timeout is still in place, there isn't any good to be found in this hiccup.

11. Dec 7, 2016 #11 of 107
    Markus57

Markus57 New Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Being one who uses a sleep timer at night on a TV connected to a Mini, I do not like this change. Nor would I suspect those who use multiple Minis because it restricts the number of live shows that can be tracked. Often when watching sports, I may have 2 or 3 games on simultaneously. Inactive Minis tying up tuners can be a pain. IMO, if you haven't interacted in 4 hours with Live TV, give it up; the tuner that is.

12. Dec 7, 2016 #12 of 107
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Bug confirmed and reported to TiVo. Same with Mini v1 and v2. After four hours the message changes to "in use by <TSN> box".

krkaufman and BRiT wtfdotcom like this.
  13. Dec 7, 2016 #13 of 107
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Yes, although last night all was OK. I rebooted my Mini. Also, I am using a Premiere. I hope this gets fixed. I leave my Mini on TIVO so it will NOT take a tuner!

How did you report this to TIVO? Did you call them?

14. Dec 7, 2016 #14 of 107
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I could have used this page: TiVo Customer Support I leave my Mini boxes on Standby when I'm finished or an EAS test will put them online. And it won't be for four hours at the moment. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  15. Dec 7, 2016 #15 of 107
    bsbd

bsbd New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Virginia...
    As others have reported, all three of my v2 Mini's are seizing tuners in my Roamio Pro (20.6.3 RC7) and never letting go. And just like the quote above, I sometimes get the "in use by <TSN> box" message after four hours. But also, prior to the four hour mark I'm now only seeing the generalized message "in use by another TiVo box" message instead of the literal box name like I used to get (i.e. "in use by the Master Bedroom box").

16. Dec 8, 2016 #16 of 107
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The box name is there in the beginning. I'm not sure when it changes. But that part is not new. I get enough EAS tests that I always put the Mini into Standby when I'm finished. It was this thread that caused me to check. You should open a support ticket with the link above. More noise gets more action.

17. Dec 8, 2016 #17 of 107
    bsbd

bsbd New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Virginia...
    Done... I just reported the tuner seizing and box name issue.

JoeKustra likes this.
  18. Dec 10, 2016 #18 of 107
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I opened a support case for the Mini not releasing the tuner after four hours. I received the following from TiVo support:
    "
    Hello Joseph,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support. I can definitely assist you with questions on that today. Those are still in use for customers to stream, so we would keep those around for the time being.

The Case Number for this inquiry is 06424449. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to reply to this email, please log into My Support at www.tivo.com/mysupport. Replies directly to this email will not be received.

Sincerely,
    Niles
    "
    I'm so impressed. Also the case number on this email is one lower than the one on the first email. That's normal. The case is closed also.

19. Dec 10, 2016 #19 of 107
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    LOL!!! What a response. Definitely Niles is most likely a Rajiv, who never laid eyes on a Tivo except for on a computer screen picture

20. Dec 12, 2016 #20 of 107
    mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    Having the exact same issue with my Roamio and 2 tivo mini's. The minis are each occupying a tuner and the occupying Mini's name is not listed, but rathers it's TSN. I do not like this. If they want to add an option to allow the mini to alway have a tuner, then ok, but make it an option..

Tivo, I know your not listening, but fix this anyway..

Lou