1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini and Roamio DTA observations

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by moyekj, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1 of 27
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Haven't seen posts yet related to Dynamic Tuner Allocation (DTA) when using Roamio as a Mini host. From my recent experiment here's one interesting find:

* I setup my Roamio Plus unit as my Mini host, and set it to record 5 shows concurrently with the last tuner as live TV foreground tuner.
    * Then I tried live TV on Mini and found it could not grab a tuner which was a little unexpected.

So it looks like the Roamio reserves 1 tuner for live TV on the Roamio itself which the Mini doesn't automatically steal. Makes sense after you think about it a little.

* On Roamio I then set 1 of 5 ongoing recordings as the foreground tuner.
    * Trying live TV on the Mini then worked - reasoning being that since live TV was no longer in foreground that there is no reason for TiVo to deny that tuner for the Mini anymore.

So, under normal conditions where you don't have access to the host unit to change foreground tuner, the Mini will need 2 free tuners on the host in order for live TV to work. I don't think that's immediately obvious to unseasoned Mini users.

Of course there are plenty of other experiments to try which I haven't bothered with, but figured we can probably collectively try all scenarios and perhaps after posting about the various scenarios, put together a FAQ on DTA.

2. Sep 2, 2013 #2 of 27
    Bryan Lyle

Bryan Lyle Tivo'n since 1999

Feb 6, 2002
    Middle of...
    Thanks for testing this.

What happens when you are watching the mini with 5 recordings going on the roamio and a 6th recording is schedule to start? Does the recording get skipped or does the mini user get kicked off?

3. Sep 2, 2013 #3 of 27
    stoli412

stoli412 New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    I'd also like to know if the Mini is able to acquire a tuner if the Roamio is busy recording Suggestions. For example, say you have 4 tuners recording programs you requested, and the other 2 are recording suggestions. Will the Roamio automatically cancel one of the recording suggestions and assign that tuner to the Mini?

4. Sep 2, 2013 #4 of 27
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    A prompt comes up on the Mini with a description of which show wants to be recorded and giving Mini user option to cancel the upcoming recording or give up the tuner. With no response default is to use the tuner for the recording and take away from the Mini (Mini goes to TiVo Central).
    If Mini user chooses to keep watching live TV I don't recall seeing any evidence on the host unit that a recording was cancelled and why.

Sorry, I don't use/like suggestions (1st thing I turn off on a new TiVo) so someone else that does will need to experiment with that.

5. Sep 2, 2013 #5 of 27
    Bryan Lyle

Bryan Lyle Tivo'n since 1999

Feb 6, 2002
    Middle of...
    Thanks for testing this. This is exactly how I hoped it would work!

6. Sep 2, 2013 #6 of 27
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We need someone with multiple Minis to try this and see if all Mini users get the prompt or only 1. And if only 1 gets it and they say "no" does the next Mini user get asked in sequence?

7. Sep 3, 2013 #7 of 27
    jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Can someone jog my memory on where the tuner allocation setup is in the Roamio settings? I didn't even have to set it up this time, it was already working with the Minis when I got them going.

8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 27
    SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    There are no setting for this on the roamio. The tuner allocation is all 'dynamic' based on availability at the time.

9. Sep 3, 2013 #9 of 27
    jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    That's what I thought too. I must have misunderstood as a previous post made it seem as though some preferences were available

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are on the Premiere still, but that's because it still has static tuner allocation. I assume once they release the update with dynamic tuner allocation for the Premiere that option will go away there too.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A few days ago I kept wondering why I couldn't get a tuner on my Mini when I was recording five things on my Roamio Pro. I kept thinking that it hadn't timed out yet when I stopped the recording. At the time it never even occurred to me that a tuner needed to stay free for the Romaio to use.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Apparently that's only the case when the tuner is in the foreground of the Roamio. If you set the foreground tuner to one of the recordings then you're allowed to use it for the Mini.

13. macevedo

macevedo New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    If you are recording suggestions on all tuners the Mini will tell you that there are no tuners available. I had to turn off suggestions because of this (I have two minis so I need mor tuners NOT recording suggestions). I hope they fix it in an upcoming update.

14. djmike0408

djmike0408 New Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I AGREE! Just had this happen to me last night while using a Mini. No tuners available, but I was only recording one show on my Roamio Basic, and Roamio was recording suggestions and stealing the tuners and not allowing the Mini to take a tuner. For someone with 4 Minis in his house ... this will not work. I too will be turning off suggested recordings on my Roamio until this is fixed.

15. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    It never will get fixed till enough of you guys contact TiVo, open a ticket and escalate the issue.

I doubt they even have this on their roadmap right now.

16. wickerbill

wickerbill Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    You can also go to the now playing list and go down to suggestions and cancel one of the recordings to free up a tuner. I have done this from a mini. Not the most elegant solution but it's better than going to the other room to do it.

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So really, DTA should be SDTA. "Somewhat" dynamic tuner allocation. It also means that if/when released for the premiere, it will in many cases be useless. If you have a 4 tuner Premiere, and there are 2 recordings going on, 1 reserved for Premiere live, and 1 being used for "suggestions", then no tuner available for the mini. If I'm reading this right, it means that anyone that wants to use the "possible" DTA on Premiere would really need to turn off suggestions? And never ever have 3 recordings going on with an XL4?

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't know about suggestions, but the Roamio + will reserve one tuner for itself and let 5 tuners go to Minis or recordings on the Roamio + (you can do 6 recordings also but having 5 recordings going on at the same time will not let any Mini work for live TV unless you stop a recording, you can still watch any recorded show on the Mini)

19. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So what I meant was that since one tuner is always reserved for roamio, it leaves 5 tuners. Then, it sounds as though (looking at threads above) if tuners are currently being used to record "suggestions", then any combination - including "suggestion recordings" of the remaining 5 would prevent mini from using a tuner.

In other words, whether it's being used or not, Roamio retains a tuner. And, whether it's for a "scheduled" or a "suggestions" recording (which we do not control) the mini can only use what's left over, or you need to manually go to Roamio to make changes to free up a tuner for the mini.

So, not really full "dynamic" tuner allocation. "Suggestions" should ALWAYS take the very lowest priority of anything - period.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I "think" that you can actually use that 6th tuner for live TV on a mini if you make sure one of the recording tuners is in the foreground on the Roamio itself.