1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini always on = tuner always in use?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by AdamNJ, Sep 11, 2013.

1. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    I have a Roamio Pro and no Mini yet. I know the Mini has DTA now to release the tuner when not in use.

So if on the Mini, I turn on my TV and tell it to tune to live tv and a particular channel, then I shut my TV off, but do NOT put the Mini in Standby (since I don't believe there is an off?), what happens?

1) Will the Roamio tuner continue to be on live tv and tuned to the channel I previously set (so when I power the TV back on live TV will be playing)?

2) Will it somehow realize I am no longer watching TV and it releases the tuner (bringing me back to the start / Tivo Central page)?

3) Other?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you don't push any buttons on the Mini remote for a certain period of time it times out and releases the tuner. I think the timer is set to 45 minutes, but I can't remember for sure.

3. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Do you know if that is a setting (length of time) that can be adjusted?

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No it's a static value.

5. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The static value is about 90 Min.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #6 of 15
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    That seems much longer than it should be. I could see the timeout value being a few minutes, but 90? Anyone know why it is so long?

7. Oct 6, 2013 #7 of 15
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You have to press a remote button at least once in the timeout period to indicate you are still using the Mini. If the timeout period was too short like 5-10 minutes you don't want to be forced to have to press a remote button that often or be prompted if you are still watching all the time. Some people already complain 90 minutes is too short... Ideally it should be configurable but TiVo doesn't seem interested in making it so.

8. Oct 6, 2013 #8 of 15
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    It seems that pressing Power Off (to turn the display off) should tell the Mini to release the tuner immediately.

9. Oct 6, 2013 #9 of 15
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    But there isn't a Power Off button, there's only a Power toggle, and TiVo has always assumed that it doesn't know whether the TV is on or off by use of that toggle button. I think that's a wise choice of their's, given the number of times my AV receiver and TV get "out-of-sync" because one of them didn't receive the Power signal. Getting "out-of-sync" with tuner release would be very annoying!

Just pressing the TiVo button will release the tuner. Yes, it's an extra thing to remember, but it will only rarely be important.

10. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I see, return the Mini to Tivo Central and it releases the tuner on the Roamio. Just tested it and you're right. Thanks for the tip!

That'll help on the rare occasion we've finished dinner (and watching TV in the kitchen) and need all six tuners in the living room. It won't happen often, but it has happened.

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Yes, the tuner is allocated for the Mini if and only if the Mini is sending a live-tv signal to the TV (though the TV might be off, as you've found). So any action that takes you away from live-tv on the Mini will free up the tuner.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Using the HDMI protocol, the Mini could easily tell when the tv is powered off. This would not work for every tv/receiver because some stay on all the time but it wouldn't affect anything if it still used the idle timer as a backup. I think it would be a better user experience for most people if the Mini did this.

13. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Doesn't the Roamio take back the tuner if it needs it anyway? I thought recordings always have priority over streaming live TV to the Mini. If this is the case, then why have it time out at all?

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It'll put up a prompt on the Mini. If no one responds to the prompt then it releases the tuner automatically. Just like it does if you're watching live TV on the TiVo itself and it needs the tuner.

15. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004