1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini access Roamio tuner but NOT recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bmgoodman, Aug 30, 2013.

1. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Does anybody know if I can set up a Mini to borrow a tuner (or two) from a Roamio Plus or Pro without also giving access to the stored programs on the Roamio?

I want to dump the expensive cable box in a guest bedroom, but I'm not sure I want my guests going through all the shows on the Roamio, especially if they can be accidentally deleted from the Mini.

Alternately, is there yet any means to restrict the Mini's access to the Roamio's shows? (Read-only, parental controls, or anything?)

(I haven't yet bought either device yet, but I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row.)

2. berg0449

berg0449 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    There has to be an easier way, but maybe parental control of every channel?

3. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I don't care much about restricting the channels available; I care about either keeping guests out of my recorded shows or keeping them from being able to delete shows that they access from the Mini.

Now that I think of it, I might not want them to be able to thumbs-up or to schedule recordings either.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No, there is no way to do this. And I don't think parental controls have enough fine grain control to block recordings but not restrict live TV.

5. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    You could always purchase a used 4 tuner Premiere and pair the guest room Mini to it. Your guests would still have access to the Roamio on your network, but it would be a number of extra steps to find and access the Roamio. Also, this way, your guests can record their own shows off the Premiere.

I'll bet there will be loads of Premieres on ebay pretty soon.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you're gonna do that why not buy a 2 tuner Premiere and just put it directly into the guest room? You could even put it on it's own account so it can't see your other ToVo(s)

7. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Well, I was really hoping to drop down to a single cable card for the whole house to save on Comcast's rather onerous per-card fees.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    So don't put a card in it. Leave it OTA and connect to a network drive to see content there.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Or just tell your guests not to delete any recordings.