1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrating to the Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by prisk, Oct 27, 2013.

1. prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    So I finally bought a Roamio Pro and 3 Minis, to replace the S2, S3,and S4 in my house, and give the one TV that uses a cable box only (shudder!) TiVo capabilities. I plan on pulling the Cablecard-M out of the Premiere and using it in the Roamio. I also want to move the season passes and most of the shows form the current TiVos onto the new Roamio. What is the proper sequence to do the following?:

Hook up Roamio to Network and cable
    Activate new Roamio on TiVo.com
    Activate Lifetime
    Perform initial setup/update guide
    Transfer season passes
    Transfer shows
    Move Cablecard from S4 to Roamio
    Re-pair CC to new Roamio (take large drink of scotch before dealing with Comcast)
    Reformat S4 (to sell on ebay)
    Activate Minis
    Reformat S2 and S3

Is the the right order? Did I miss any steps?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The only thing that's tricky are the Minis. They need an activated Roamio before they can work properly. Activate all boxes asap (unless they were ordered from Tivo directly, in which case activation is automatic), but you might have to hold off on running their Guided Setups until the Roamio is fully activated (can take up to 24 hours).

1. Activate/Lifetime everything ASAP online (if ordered from Tivo, activation is automatic).
    2. Insert cablecard
    3. Connect Roamio to TV/network.
    4. Run Guided Setup on Roamio
    5. Re-pair cablecard
    6. Transfer shows and season passes. You can transfer SP's on tivo.com, or fairly quickly with a program called KMTTG if you're savvy with it.
    7. Connect & Run Guided Setup on Minis (once Roamio is activated)

Clear & Delete everything on the replaced boxes whenever comfortable, after everything's transferred and in working order.

3. prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Will the old tivo still let me access it and its programs once the cablecard is pulled out?

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yup.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The SPs transfer very quickly from TiVo.com too. When I transferred mine, in a short time it was already recording content from the 120+ SPs I transferred. The SPs started showing up on the box within a few minutes of copying them online.

6. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    I would recommend getting another CableCard and let the new and old TiVos run in parallel until you're satisfied that the new TiVo is stable enough. My Roamio is in its "probation period". It had a complete lock up and a CableCard reset within the first week.

7. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    LOL, I have to say, and many others are also saying that Comcast has finally got their act together regarding CableCard activations and transfers. Call their CableCard specific number, (877) 405-2298, and things usually go quite well. I moved ONE of my two M-cards from my S3 OLED to my new Roamio Plus right after I did guided setup, called the above number and was up and running within minutes, including premium channels. Most people are saying the same. No 100% guarantees of course, but it's far better than it has ever been.

8. prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Great info! Thanks! Part of my motivation for moving to the Roamio was that I will be able to return a bunch of comcast boxes and cablecards, and take $30 off my bill. Glad to know there is a dedicated number to call. Dealing with Comcast is so often an exercise in pain.

9. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Is there an easy way to transfer recorded shows from my S4's to my Roamio Pro? I'm hoping I don't have to manually click on each episode of each show and transfer it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

10. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    It's a lot of button presses for sure but there really isn't any other easier way. Luckily the interface in the Pro is fast with the RF remote.

11. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Thanks, one more question, is there any way to transfer the ratings for the Tivo Suggestions over to the Roamio from the S4?

Thanks again!

12. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    There is no way to transfer the thumbs up/thumbs down ratings. They will need to be marked again on the new box.

13. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    I've tried to copy some shows from a dying Premiere to a TiVO HD (over wireless connection) and they take FOREVER. A one-hour program (HD) can take almost three hours.
    Season Passes are a snap online.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The easier way is use kmttg, select all of them, hit "start transfer" (or whatever the button is)... and I honestly don't remember how you do the 'push' to the other Tivo, but it can be done..

15. Diacritical

Diacritical Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Brooklyn...
    Has there been any talk about migrating ratings as well as season passes? I have about 7 years of ratings built up in my S3 and would like to move them over to the new box.

16. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Don't use wireless. My transfers from HD to Roamio are about 25-30 Mbps through 100 Mbps Ethernet. 1-hour high def takes about 20-30 minutes.

17. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    If kmttg can do that then it would definitely be easier, if not a bit slower overall. It sounds like that would require having a PC with enough storage to temporarily hold all of the recordings and waiting the additional time to push the transfers to the Roamio after they are pulled from the S4's.

18. Diacritical

Diacritical Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Brooklyn...
    I get the same results using wireless from my old S3. Wireless is fine if it is configured right (physical layout as well as settings) which would imply decent signal strength.

19. dwjohn

dwjohn New Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi, I'm a new forum member, and currently have 4 Premieres, with Comcast.

I'm looking to replace these with a Roamio Plus and 3 Mini's I've just ordered. With these replacements I'm also planning to set up a MoCa network to better handle video streaming.

Will the current Comcast cable card in my Premiere XL work with the new Roamio, or should I get a new card?

20. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    It should work, the question is, how well? I would check the firmware version on each of your premiere's cablecards and use the one that has the latest and greatest. Certain FW versions work better than others supporting the Roamio's six tuners. There are other threads here covering those issues. (i.e. - Tuners 5 & 6, black screen issue, etc)