1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrate Series 1 recordings to later model?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by ese002, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ese002

ese002 New Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I have a Series 1 whose upgraded disk is dying. Replacing the disk and moving the existing recordings over is straight forward but newer, faster models are available on eBay for about the same money as a new disk. Is it possible to migrate the recordings to Series 2 or 3?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    If the Series 1 has a TurboNET card and it's hacked to allow telnet access you can use TyTool to extract the shows to MPEG files on your PC, then send them to your new model later with TiVo Desktop or pyTivo.

I don't know of any way to do it directly like hooking the drive up to a computer.

3. ese002

ese002 New Member

Feb 26, 2009
    turboNet cards are expensive. Silly expensive for one-time use. So what is the issue with copying the files? Are they encrypted with a key tied to the specific hardware? Does copy from one Series 1 to another Series 1 not work either? (Not that I have any use for that facility)

If I understand the method you suggest, PPP over the serial port should work too with the caveat that it would be catastrophically slow.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    The files aren't encrypted on a Series 1, but the proprietary MFS filesystem is still mostly unknown. I don't know if PPP would work (even slowly) but someone else may jump in with that answer.

The other option is to keep the S1 connected to another input on your TV until you have watched everything on it.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the drive is dying Sod's Law says it will finish doing so long before you get the first show copied.

Better to make a bootable MFS Live v1.4 cd and use

dd_rescue

to "Xerox" the drive to another one as large or larger while it's still possible.

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Had to look that one up to see if it was real. I thought you just meant that the drive would be six feet under the sod before he got it copied. ;)

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's sort of Murphy's Law with an extra helping of irony.

8. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    Unless you hacked the kernel on your series 1, the shows are indeed encrypted.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    On a Standalone Series 1, they are not encrypted, but on a DirecTV Series 1, they are.

I would get another HDD and do a dd_rescue copy, then use the copy.

10. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    I was referring to the DTV version. The video quality of the SA made it far less desireable to save programming.