1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Megabytes of data

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by meadota, Mar 12, 2013.

1. meadota

meadota New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    How many megabytes of data per month does a TiVo Premiere use?

I realize that applications such as Netflix will use a lot of data but I am interested in how much data the TiVo uses (in both directions) just to provide all the necessary guide service not including things like Netflix.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    A tiny, tiny amount compared to video streaming. Why is this of interest to you?

3. meadota

meadota New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Because I am new to TiVo and I was just informed by my internet provider that I have hit 75% of my monthly usage. This comes as a shock to me because I never hit this mark until I got my TiVo hooked up.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Have you changed your viewing habits to start using netflix/hulu/ect?

Heck- tivo used to use a modem and your phone line to update the guide data!

5. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    If you aren't streaming Netflix/hulu/Amazon VOD, then the only other possible data hog might be a service update download. If your Tivo is very new, then it would have done a service update probably within a week after being hooked up. Not sure how much data that is, but couple that with the initial Guide Data download.... If it is a Premiere and you are using the HD menu interface I think that pulls internet data as well in real time.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Just a long shot but you might try asking TiVo support or searching in their support forum.

7. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Original poster....... how much data allowance does your internet service provider give you every month?

As the others already pointed out, the Tivo guide updates use only a tiny amount of data. However, your original setup on the Tivo might have used up some data to upgrade the Tivo operating system software.

Tivo tech support should be able to provide you with detailed information about your usage.

Streaming video like hulu, netflix, etc uses a ton of data. Especially if you are streaming in HD.

TC

8. meadota

meadota New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    80GB per month.

I only use the TiVo for the guide and as a PVR. I began to think it was continually downloading guide data just like it is always recording something.

I guess I will eventually call support and get a conclusive answer.