1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe funniest Chumlee moment of pawn stars.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, Apr 19, 2011.

1. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Rick paid $1000 for a huge 50's bowling arcade machine in rough electrical shape.

Cut to the machine sitting in a back room. Chumlee enters the picture and winds up to throw a solid wooden bowling ball. His aim is just high enough to smash the back glass in a million pieces. He runs out of the picture like a scared rabbit.
  2. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    To me, this smelled of a "scripted moment".
  3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard New Member TC Club

Jul 8, 2004
    I was seriously wondering if they happened to know of another such machine where they could get the glass to replace that one, but that was a totally scripted moment. Funny, yes, but totally scripted.

That fact alone tells me that either the glass they showed destroyed was something similar that was already broken, or they had a ready replacement in the wings. No way they pay a grand with the idea of restoring it and then destroy something that integral without a plan. You never actually saw the glass pane broken, just the illusion of the glass pane being broken. Plus, it was the final scene of the show, then cut to black. If Chumlee had actually broken it, the follow up footage would have been reality TV gold (aside from the near constant bleeping!:D).
  4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    Most of the Chumlee stuff is scripted. But usually pretty funny. :)
  5. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Even if it is scripted, it was pure gold. Especially his face as he runs away after breaking it! I really did want to know what the actual story was (if they had a replacement there or what).

I also was jealous. I bet throwing that was fun!
  6. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    I didn't see this episode, but if it was just a flat pane of glass, and had no decals, or paint on it. It would be easily, and cheaply replaced.
  7. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Oh no.......they showed the broken pieces with all manner of decals, score surrounds etc.
  8. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    If it were real, they would dedicate 10 minutes to the backlash.

I don't like these scripted parts at all. Just show the show.
  9. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes, the shot after he ran off did show that it looked to be the real back glass that was broken.

It definitely looked scripted. I was pondering that the producers paid the $1000 just so there was something for Chumlee to break. The "hidden" camera and Chumlee's exaggerated windup before throwing the ball just screamed setup.
  10. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    It's not the first time they've destroyed something for the show. Cory destroyed that potty-chair when he threw it in the back of his pickup and didn't put the tailgate down. The setup indicators were the way he cavalierly thew it in the back and when he accelerated hard in the parking lot.

--Carlos "then there was that stupid 'happiness' feng shui talisman" V.
  11. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Nov 4, 1999
    I hate the scripted stuff too. The items and the history of those items is interesting enough. I don't need the goofy scripted 'comedy'.
  12. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member

Oct 27, 2000
    It's pretty clear that this show is only a vessel to show off the old stuff and tell their story.

There may have been some real situations when it first started, heck even a few people actually came in to pawn stuff, but this hasn't happened in a a long time.
  13. Satchel

Satchel Active Member

Dec 8, 2001
    I always tell my wife...Pawn Stars is like Antiques Roadshow for us regular people.
  14. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah pretty much the whole thing is "scripted" in one way or another. They don't just run the cameras all day hoping people show up with interesting items. You contact the show ahead of time, tell them what you have, and if they are interested they'll tell you when to bring it down. I like the show.
  15. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    My fiancee had an interesting idea. Perhaps the scripted part was Chumlee playing with the bowling game. And he wasn't supposed to break it. He just did.
  16. pmyers

pmyers New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    That was horrible. I think it was all staged because I doubt there is anyway to restore/fix/replace the "electronics" in that thing. Where are you going to get parts? It was only bought to make that scene, imho.

Knock off this crap guys, or you're going to lose us.
  17. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    We visited the pawn shop when we went to Vegas last December. Here's a video I took of Chumlee driving out of the parking lot, on 3 wheels:eek:
  18. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    [YT="Chumlee's lowrider"]gv1sVaZmGnc[/YT]

I watched him making a Uturn out of his old apartment complex a couple weeks ago and he did the 3 wheeling then too. I seem to recall him twittering a few months ago that he got a ticket for 3 wheeling.
  19. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    I've been enjoying the shots of attractive women wearing low cut tops, leaning over display cases.
  20. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I noticed that too, usually at the very beginning of the show. I actually look for it now, "There's the boob shot!".