1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mating old with new equip. advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MaBud, Sep 7, 2012.

1. MaBud

MaBud New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Looking for best way to mate following equipment. I have audio/video experience but am not that familiar with all the modern technology. Advice Please and Thank You...

Tivo Series 2
    Pace RNG110 HD cable box
    Seiki SC391TS LCD-HD tv
    Sony STR-K740P surround

Anything special or problems that I should know.?? Standard hook-up enough.??
    Have componet, s-video, hdmi cables.... Any others needed.????

Thanks for your time...... Mabud---
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    Series 2 is not new tech and you need to connect the cable box to the composite (yellow) and audio (white/red) inputs. You would not get good video quality on a HDTV, but under best recording quality it may not be as bad.
  3. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    I would recommend using s-video instead of composite for the connection from the cable box to the TiVo, and from there to the TV. It makes a huge difference on my 55" LG.

My TV didn't come with S-video so I picked up a Toshiba DR430KU DVD recorder and use it to upscale. As long as the power is turned on all of the inputs are live and it outputs 1080p on HDMI to the TV.

In my experience the difference between High and Best isn't really noticeable. YMMV.
  4. MaBud

MaBud New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for thoughts.......

Here's what I did.....

HD cbl.box(new) to HD/LCDtv(new)......... hdmi cbl
    cbl.box to Tivo(old)...... RCA comp
    Tivo to tv......... RCA comp
    RCA.... one from cbl.box..... one from Tivo to Sony(old)

I wanted to use S-video, but cable box only has hdmi & RCA comp. Since video quality would diminish immediatly, I didn't see the point later. I figure I get the best of both worlds this way..... Direct A/V to tv for high quality, and the best I can get from older tivo. It does everything it was designed for. (I've gotten hooked on the 2 tuner thing with 30 min. recording time). So far everything is working great......