1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

masterchef - US version - July 28 2014

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jamesl, Jul 28, 2014.

1. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012
    "The Top 12 chefs create romantic menus for couples celebrating anniversaries, and Gordon Ramsay's wife makes an appearance. The losing team faces a pressure test involving truffles."

preview for this week's episode
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx-ufGjasxE

2. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Who knew Cutter could make a mean truffle.

3. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo

May 11, 2001
    Riverdale,...
    Are they given recipes for each challenge because I can't see how they all know how to make all these things.

4. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I believe they have access to cooking videos/books/guides and even some classes in between tapings.

5. Jolt

Jolt Disgruntled Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Corpus...
    Last night it was obvious they are given something to help them. For a second I thought Gordon was being serious with Cutter.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Last night There was a shot of Big Willie at his workstation doing his thing and on the counter was what looked like a tablet.

7. Jolt

Jolt Disgruntled Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Corpus...
    Oh I didnt see that. lol

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    On closer inspection, I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like a tablet. Maybe the truffle box cover propped up for some reason.

[​IMG]

9. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    The original concept of the show was to teach the contestants (and viewers) then compete. The teaching part was dropped from view in the US version but I'm guessing it still goes on when the camera's turn off. I watched the Australian version and thought it a much better show than the US one, mainly for the addition of the cooking lessons and the omission of Gordon Ramsay.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I was really wondering how all these folks who had never made a truffle were able to do so well.

I also wish that smarmy puke of a guy, Leslie, would get the ax. :D Ugh, I cannot stand people like that. It especially irks me when they think somebody else has not done well and they stand there smirking about it. Really? You're too lame to do well on your own merit instead of having to wish for the demise of other contestants to make you look better? blech /rant

11. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Wow. This thread really fell off.

Was hoping Elizabeth would win. But she picked the worst time to have a let down.

Courtney doesn't even make the finals if Leslie doesn't screw up, but she won in the finals.

12. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...

It was an episode-specific thread, no?

(Yes.)

13. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Joe mentioned that every Chef has made the mistake between salt and sugar.

But wouldn't you immediately notice that when you taste your dish? Clearly Leslie had no idea what his dish tasted like.

14. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    uhm wth

15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I haven't watched the finale yet, but have decided to just FF to the end and see who won. (spoiler is from the previous week)

If it's that pukey a$$wipe, Leslie, I'm not even going to watch. He should have been gone last week, but I just knew they were going to keep him. I hate that! His dish was not even complete AND it was bad. The other contestant's dish was just bad, but it was complete.

If somebody else gets the win, I'll watch the whole thing (well, maybe with some FFing to get to the part where jerkboy gets the ax).

Actually, I just opened this thread to see if there was a finale spoiler and I'd get to know ahead of time. :D

16. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Yeah, but this was the last thread that was done. I guess I shouldn't have said the thread fell off, but rather the series recaps.

17. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    no point catching up now.

18. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Well, you can always watch the 100% Gordon Ramsey free Masterchef Canada. I like it a bit more than the US version (I like the Australian version way more than both!). Less cattiness and the judges are are bit less annoying, maybe except for Alvin Leung. I wonder why the US version is just Masterchef while the Canadian version is Masterchef Canada? Off to wiki.......

Wow, the show has way more history than I realized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterChef